Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by clarke68 View Post
    Ooooo...which track do you use?
    I use Redencion both for the layering of instruments (particularly towards the end of the track) as well as the piccolo, which comes in around 0:35 with a note that's a pretty pure 2200Hz tone. Since this often falls into a crossover region, it can be all over the place. I've played it on dozens of systems at RMAF and that note is anywhere from piercing to distant.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy View Post
    I use Redencion both for the layering of instruments (particularly towards the end of the track) as well as the piccolo, which comes in around 0:35 with a note that's a pretty pure 2200Hz tone. Since this often falls into a crossover region, it can be all over the place.
    Very cool, thanks! I'm going to try that tonight...might make it in to my next review!

Very cool, thanks! I'm going to try that tonight...might make it in to my next review!
    Brad, you should ask for a reference footnote if it does.

Because of you two or three, I just ordered "Cachaito" and "Entre Amigos/Among Friends".
    -curtis

OK...because of this thread, another thread here, and thread over at AudioCircle, I have four new discs:

Orlando Cachaito Lopez - Cachaito, the guys did not steer me wrong on this one. I played it this morning while getting ready for the office.

Rosa Passos & Ron Carter - Entre Amigos/Among Friends; I fell asleep to this one last night. Sounded great, very relaxing to me.

Chantal Chamberland - Serendipity Street
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0005JB6SQ

Erin Boheme - What Love Is; Incredible voice for an 18 year old.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6EIVW

Too funny....as I was writing this, my Dad called. He is at my house picking my kids up after school. He saw the "Cachaito" and "Entre Amigos/Among Friends" discs and said he was borrowing them. Good thing I already ripped them to FLAC.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Rosa Passos & Ron Carter - Entre Amigos/Among Friends; I fell asleep to this one last night.
    Not exactly the strongest endorsement I've ever heard... ;-)

I had a listening party at my place Friday night (guys loved the Sierra-1). Lots of great stuff was played, but this was my favorite discovery:

Dark Side of the Moon A Capella - incredibly original and successful take on the Floyd classic. Super well-recorded, the bass (singer) sounds awesome and the voices just float. Highly recommended for fans of Pink Floyd or vocals.

Not exactly the strongest endorsement I've ever heard... ;-)
    Ha! That didn't come out very good.....but if you knew the weekend I had, you'd understand.
    -curtis

For vocal and gospel I like The Fairfield Four- Standing in the Safety Zone. I use track 6 as a favorite torture test as to whether speakers play the 4 voices distinctly separate and in harmony or are just a blend of voices.

Josh Groban's new Noel displays the male voice to perfection (at least on Ascend).
    I also love acappella, especially Toxic Audio, The Real Group, Rajaton and Idea of North. Anything by those groups sounds fantastic.

I think we have a lot of guitar fans here.

If you are one of them, this disc from various artists doing "new" flamenco style of playing is very good. I was surprised to find out that one of artists is Slash from Guns & Roses.

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Soul-Fla...0069608&sr=1-1
    -curtis

For Flamenco guitar (and similar), I strongly recommend anything from Jesse Cook. This one is particularly good and was one of my reference CD's when doing critical listening during the design phase of the original CBM-170...

http://www.amazon.com/Tempest-Jesse-...d_bxgy_m_img_a
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com