Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

wow, dolby true hd; that's rockin. what AVR do you have to decode it?
    i have yet to try out true hd on my denon!
    I recently found out that dolby digital runs at a lower bit rate than DTS, but that most material is capped at 500kbit anyways, which is like half of CD audio quality! i can't wait to see true hd material for either dts or dolby, that quality of sound must be amazing and distinguished.

Default Metallica?

This post might draw some jabs, but what the heck. I was reading a subwoofer review (can't recall which one) and the guy said he was playing Enter Sandman by Metallica during a party and pretty soon had half the party in his listening room being impressed by the sub.

So I thought that although I'm not a Metallica fan, I do like that song, why not try it out. Never mind that the album was released in 1991 ...

Bought the CD at Wal-Mart, took it home and cranked it up. Older Onkyo AV receiver with 70 watts, original 340 mains, and an Outlaw LFM-1 sub, fired up in two-channel and that thing ROCKED! It has a really driving bass line and kick drum and tom-toms that really come at you when listening at club levels.

Not "serious" music, but pretty fun.

Default Re: Metallica?

Pete....did you get a comment from the wife or neighbors?
    -curtis

I know I'm going to hate myself for asking, But...can you describe "serious" music?
    I personally love Metallica, as well as Frank Zappa, the Flaming lips, the Dead Kennedy's, Bach, Beethoven, and on and on and on......

Peace,

Jim

Talking You can't be serious!

I guess I can't describe "serious" music, but I get the feeling that most of the recommendations on this thread are not for thrash bands. I didn't mean anything by it.

Maybe I'll fire up Holiday in Cambodia and see if it sounds "serious" to me.
    =================
    curtis, I waited till the wife and kids were gone, closed the windows and fired it up. The neighbors on that side of the house don't really talk to us (we are friendly, they are not), so I never heard about it from them.

But I'm pretty impressed how well the house is insulated. I've gone outside while I've had some loud music on, and it's really not that noticeable. I guess out here in the Conejo Valley they actually use insulation, as opposed to those beach houses ....

Maybe I didn't tell you I moved, we have been in Agoura Hills since last July.

Nice area Pete!

I was just having fun with the "serious" music crack. The one absolute for me is, I listen to all types of music more often than ever, since i got the Sierra's.

Jim

Default Re: Metallica?

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    This post might draw some jabs, but what the heck. I was reading a subwoofer review (can't recall which one) and the guy said he was playing Enter Sandman by Metallica during a party and pretty soon had half the party in his listening room being impressed by the sub.

So I thought that although I'm not a Metallica fan, I do like that song, why not try it out. Never mind that the album was released in 1991 ...

Bought the CD at Wal-Mart, took it home and cranked it up. Older Onkyo AV receiver with 70 watts, original 340 mains, and an Outlaw LFM-1 sub, fired up in two-channel and that thing ROCKED! It has a really driving bass line and kick drum and tom-toms that really come at you when listening at club levels.

Not "serious" music, but pretty fun.
    Hey, I love rocking out to some Metallica every now and then. I enjoy their older, less commercialized music (Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All...) Great Stuff....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Some music I plan on listening to when my cherry Sierra's arrive...

Acoustic Alchemy - Against the Grain. British guitar-playing duo.

Dave Grusin - Mountain Dance.

Rainbow - Down to Earth and Difficult to Cure. Some hard rock from Richie Blackmore's other band...

Rush - Signals.

Enya - any

Dire Straits - Love over Gold, Brothers in Arms and Alchemy (live version of Sultans of Swing is awesome)

Mozart - Requiem

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (music from our wedding - very high WAF )

I played most of these when I originally got my 340SE's, so it is fitting that I play them again when my new toys arrive

Mike

Smile Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Hi all

I'd recommend...
    Seal (1994)
    Peter Gabriel: UP
    Khalil Chahine: Opake
    ... both for your enjoyment and for testing your systems.

Exclamation Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

How could I forget??

An "incontournable" (must-have) for any music lover:
    Talking Heads: Remain in Light (CD/DVD reissue)