Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

I recommend Beck's Sea Change cd. Very well recorded, great songs. The album has an almost acoustic feel to it. I have bought his other stuff since, but Sea Change remains my favorite.

I've tried to consolidate the recommendations in this thread to a list...let me know if you see something I missed.

http://swbg1.tripod.com/ascend_music.htm

that's awesome! I especially like the notes column

I'll throw out Les Claypool's new album "Of Fungi and Foe." It's a well recorded album that features the usual great bass and Claypool quirkiness.

Default Some Recent Music

Alan Pasqua, Dave Carpenter, & Peter Erskin, Standards (Fuzzy Music)--Recorded with KMF Audio Stereo Tube Microphones, this CD has an exceptionally natural and "live" sound.

Branford Marsalis Quartet--Metamorphosen (Marsalis Music)--A wonderful release from a "state of the art" quartet.

O+S, O+S (Saddle Creek)--The self-titled release by Orenda Fink & Cedric LeMoyne incorporates Fink's recordings of ambient sounds with gorgeous vocals. You haven't heard anything quite like it, but it is totally accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    I've tried to consolidate the recommendations in this thread to a list...let me know if you see something I missed.

http://swbg1.tripod.com/ascend_music.htm
    Excellent!! Nice work - thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I was bored tonight, so I went over to Barnes & Noble to have a look around.

In the music/video section they had the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall on BluRay. It has been in my Blockbuster queue for a long time. So I bought it.

Freaking fantastic!
    -curtis

I've listened to Brian's 2007 Yoko Kanno's Wolf's Rain OSTs recommendation for quite a while and there's some great music in there!

Lately, I've been thoroughly loving Kawai Kenji's Fate Stay Night OST (can listen to samples here). Again, pretty different from western music but that's pretty much the point. Music varies a lot, but listen to track #3, 6, 10, 15, 17, 18, 23, 27, 28, 30, 31, 32, 35, 37, 38. Ok that's a lot of 30 secs clip to listen to haha but really, fantastic and different music. (pm for more?)

Acoustic guitar: Don Ross (Bearing Straight, Huron Street), Peppino D'Agostino (Every Step of the Way) are great, and I'm slowly discovering Micheal Hedge, Aerial Boundaries album is pretty nice (album title track, advance to 3 mins, or view #2)

This guy played it pretty well, but messed up a little at the end... Still pretty nice.

Strunz & Farah's Primal Magic is not bad...

Don't know if it's been recommended before: Jose Gonzalez, Veneer for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X2W_...eature=related

What else... Classical, Bach, always my favorite...

Queenryche is pretty weird... Just listened 20 seconds of "Queen of the Reich" and it sounded exactly like Highway star by Deep Purple. So maybe more than Floydian influences there!

Oh, and a really cool song, Bang Gang - It's Alright, http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c...en-slow-motion filmed with RED Camera. (make sure you check out the HQ version and run it at full res!)
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 05-10-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I was bored tonight, so I went over to Barnes & Noble to have a look around.

In the music/video section they had the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall on BluRay. It has been in my Blockbuster queue for a long time. So I bought it.

Freaking fantastic!
    i'm jealous!! that sounds like it would sound amazing
    what's music on bluray comparable to? I imagine it is 5.1, but is it DTS or better? I noticed that something similar to this but on DVD would be a bit compressed, sometimes as dolby digital (around 450kbit)

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    i'm jealous!! that sounds like it would sound amazing
    what's music on bluray comparable to? I imagine it is 5.1, but is it DTS or better? I noticed that something similar to this but on DVD would be a bit compressed, sometimes as dolby digital (around 450kbit)

Here's a link to a review of the disk which discusses the audio quality:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...89&show=review