Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Not a recommendation, but in honor of Walter Becker, I've been playing some Steely Dan this morning on the Sierra-2's/Rythmik...sounding fabulous.
    Been a huge fan of his work since as long as I can remember... We have been losing a lot of the great ones these past few years
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Been a huge fan of his work since as long as I can remember... We have been losing a lot of the great ones these past few years
    Yeah...it's sad.

My daughter is a classic rock fan and wants to see who she can before they stop touring.

Next Monday, we are seeing Eric Clapton.

Yeah...it's sad.

My daughter is a classic rock fan and wants to see who she can before they stop touring.

Next Monday, we are seeing Eric Clapton.

My brother sent me some pics from the Clapton concert he attended this past Thursday. He said it was a great show with incredible sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My brother sent me some pics from the Clapton concert he attended this past Thursday. He said it was a great show with incredible sound.
    It WAS a great show! I am glad I was able to experience it with my daughter.

This thread has been dead lately...

How many Tidal users here?

I am huge advocate of storing and playing music from a NAS.

The last two days I have been trying Roon with Tidal integration.

I have a NAS drive with about 300gb of lossless music (FLAC). It's about 8000 tracks spread out among 560 or so artists (from 1800 albums, some not in their entirety). Relatively small compared to many other folks' I have seen.

For the past few years, I have been accessing this library of music using JRiver. It has worked out very well. Before that, it was Sonos.

The past year or so, I have been messing around with Tidal, but I really didn't have a good way of using it to extract at least the CD quality music from it. I was using Air Play from my Mac to Apple TV.

Then, this past month, I picked up a used Microsoft Surface Pro 3. In my home, I have been a Mac user for the past 4-5 years. My iPad 2 was getting a little old, and I thought about getting a new one, but really needed a PC to run some other software (namely, Dirac for my XMC-1...the laptop I was using stopped working properly with Dirac). The Surface Pro 3 seemed like a good solution....and it was!

After getting used to the Surface Pro 3, I connected it to my XMC-1 (via HDMI and a docking station). Installed Tidal, and it sounded better than how I was previously using Tidal. So I was quite happy.

I've known about Roon for a while, but the cost of it kept me away ($119/yr or $500/lifetime). There is a 14 day trial, so I thought about it. Then I found out how to get a 60 day trial, so I installed it a couple of days ago.

I really like Roon. The installation and setup were easy, and Tidal integration is seamless. The user interface is much better than JRiver (on the PC itself or via my iPhone). The interface with Tidal is great...I have access to thousands of albums. The interface is no different between music on my NAS or Tidal....it's like it is all mine! bwahaha!

I haven't tried it all yet...but all the music on this thread, I can easily pull up and check it out on Tidal if I don't have the disc.

Now, I just need to hope that Tidal doesn't go out of business, or another music service in the US starts to offer lossless streaming...and then Roon integrates it.
    -curtis

I love TIDAL as well. I'm lucky that my daughter is in college so I put my account in her name so I got 50% discount because she is college student

I was using my Oppo 105D to play TIDAL but it got too glitchy so I got a Bluesound Node 2 and it's fantastic. I'm using the analog out directly into my XMC-1 and it sounds amazing with TIDAL Masters. With BluOS app I can access all my library in my NAS and make combined playlists with TIDAL, own music in my NAS and another services like Spotify, Amazon Music, Deezer, etc.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Enrico,
    What really sets Roon apart is the user interface, meta data, and the ability to set up different zones.

There many devices that can be used endpoints/output, the Oppo 203/205 are examples.

When Spotify starts offering a lossless service, hopefully it will get integrated as well.
    -curtis

BluOS user interface is awesome too. Its a multi room platform as well and most NAD electronics come with BluOS already. NAD owns Bluesound, though. Bluesound streaming devices are ones of the very few that support MQA full unfold.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    BluOS user interface is awesome too. Its a multi room platform as well and most NAD electronics come with BluOS already. NAD owns Bluesound, though. Bluesound streaming devices are ones of the very few that support MQA full unfold.
    Roon handles MQA as long as the endpoint/DAC does as well (and supports Roon). It works with Bluesound devices. Does Bluesound support DSD?
    https://roonlabs.com/partners/bluesound.html

Have a look at Roon. It is much more than a controller/interface.

https://roonlabs.com
    -curtis

It WAS a great show! I am glad I was able to experience it with my daughter.

This thread has been dead lately...

How many Tidal users here?

I am huge advocate of storing and playing music from a NAS.

The last two days I have been trying Roon with Tidal integration.

I have a NAS drive with about 300gb of lossless music (FLAC). It's about 8000 tracks spread out among 560 or so artists (from 1800 albums, some not in their entirety). Relatively small compared to many other folks' I have seen.

For the past few years, I have been accessing this library of music using JRiver. It has worked out very well. Before that, it was Sonos.

The past year or so, I have been messing around with Tidal, but I really didn't have a good way of using it to extract at least the CD quality music from it. I was using Air Play from my Mac to Apple TV.

Then, this past month, I picked up a used Microsoft Surface Pro 3. In my home, I have been a Mac user for the past 4-5 years. My iPad 2 was getting a little old, and I thought about getting a new one, but really needed a PC to run some other software (namely, Dirac for my XMC-1...the laptop I was using stopped working properly with Dirac). The Surface Pro 3 seemed like a good solution....and it was!

After getting used to the Surface Pro 3, I connected it to my XMC-1 (via HDMI and a docking station). Installed Tidal, and it sounded better than how I was previously using Tidal. So I was quite happy.

I've known about Roon for a while, but the cost of it kept me away ($119/yr or $500/lifetime). There is a 14 day trial, so I thought about it. Then I found out how to get a 60 day trial, so I installed it a couple of days ago.

I really like Roon. The installation and setup were easy, and Tidal integration is seamless. The user interface is much better than JRiver (on the PC itself or via my iPhone). The interface with Tidal is great...I have access to thousands of albums. The interface is no different between music on my NAS or Tidal....it's like it is all mine! bwahaha!

I haven't tried it all yet...but all the music on this thread, I can easily pull up and check it out on Tidal if I don't have the disc.

Now, I just need to hope that Tidal doesn't go out of business, or another music service in the US starts to offer lossless streaming...and then Roon integrates it.
    At my home, I think I am up to about 14,000 individual songs on my NAS. I rip to both FLAC and MP3 (MP3 so the we can us the Synology app to store a huge amount of music on our phones and to load to various other devices when needed, fixed drives in our cars for example)

I like the iPhone Synology app (DS Audio) - it integrates well with the various devices in our home that have Apple airplay - making it easy for my kids and wife to instantly play what music they like through a real audio system (although they still mostly listen off their phone using earbuds or just that awful sounding iPhone speaker)

For easy streaming direct from our NAS - using a TV as the interface, Kodi on a Firebox works great.

I'll have to give Roon a try as well....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

For easy streaming direct from our NAS - using a TV as the interface, Kodi on a Firebox works great.
    Yeah, I'm running a similar setup with Plex serving up music, videos and live/recorded OTA TV from my Synology NAS through FireTV.