Thread: best source for Sonance in-ceiling speakers for ATMOS

Default best source for Sonance in-ceiling speakers for ATMOS

My HT / Music room has been trashed. Turns out the time is right to fix a nagging HVAC duct problem. Stuff happens. While the room is covered in sheetrock dust, might as well make the best of it and move the planned Atmos upgrade up to... now. I mean really, what's a little more sheetrock dust between friends?

My search for Atmos speakers that will match with my existing Ascend Acoustics keeps coming back to the Sonance VP62Rs. I can't find any local sources though. And the main source on-line appears to be Best Buy. The Sonance website is of no help with finding a way to buy their speakers. Sigh... (it's 2023!)

Is there a better speaker for this duty? Better / cheaper source? Do I need anything beyond the VP62Rs and the medium round retrofit enclosures? Four of each comes out to about $1150. I wouldn't mind it being less money, but I would mind the sound not working well with the Ascend speakers.

Any pointers, suggestions, help of any kind, gratefully accepted.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Default Re: best source for Sonance in-ceiling speakers for ATMOS

Not sure what the state of your room is but what about mounting some HTM200’s in the ceiling
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I have 4 vp66rs for Atmos… eBay is your friend

"...HTM200’s in the ceiling." Can they be mounted "in" the ceiling? As in, face flush with the ceiling, nothing hanging down below the ceiling? If it'll fit up between the ceiling joists, which in my case they probably can, how does one mount them? Can one get a "ceiling white" grille for them?
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

I'm not sure about the white grille - you'd need to ask Dave/Dina. I think I may have done so several years ago and it was possible, but not cheap.

As to mounted in the ceiling, I think if there is the depth between the face of the ceiling and what's above it, and space enough between the joists, it would be possible to mount them flush. I recall a post from a few years ago that someone did this. As I recall, they used the existing mount holes in the cabinet and also put one or two studs on the opposite end, and bolted/screwed everything to whatever was above. If I had mounted them to the ceiling in my room, that's how I would have done them (I'm in a single story, so would have bolted to the flooring in the attic above). That said, I would have mounted the cabinet backs to the ceiling so they hung down and not cut holes into the ceiling/attic although the ceiling does also have "can" lights which protrude into the attic.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD