Thread: Schiit Aegir w/ Sierra 2-EXs

Default Schiit Aegir w/ Sierra 2-EXs

I currently have an older Outlaw Audio 5 channel amp that was built by ATI (Outlaw 750 model) that is a warhorse. I have no issues with it, will continue to use it, and I am not looking to get rid of it. However, just to try something different, I have thought about trying an amp such as the Schiit Aegir for my music listening. While not a true class A amp, it runs in class A for the first 10 watts before transitioning out of it. It is only rated at 20W RMS total though, so it is not a powerhouse and not something I would use for home theater soundtracks.

I also run a pair of very capable subs and high and low pass crossover at 80 HZ, so the Sierra-2 EXs are alleviated of much of the low end.

I sit 8 feet away from my speakers, and at my listening position now I like to listen at around 75-77 DB average, and obviously there are peaks above that that occur with dynamic recordings. Based on my calculations, and with the sensitivity of the Sierra-2EXs, I am estimating using the various "wattage for speaker calculators" available on the net, that when I listen to stereo music that my amps are likely using around .6 Watts RMS to reach 77 DB, and then for 12 DB peaks above that (89 DB) it would be using 9.4 watts.

So, my question is does anybody suspect there may be a problem with the Schiit Aegir not sufficiently powering my speakers in my room? On paper it seems like it would work just fine as I do not listen at extremely high volumes, but perhaps I am missing something. The Schiit Aegir usually gets recommended for high-sensitivity speakers, and not speakers that have sensitivity below 90 DB.

I also have read, but not sure this is true, that crossing over to a sub at 80 Hz increases the sensitivity of a speaker and it is therefore taking the power requirements for a speaker and approximately reducing it in half.

Default Re: Schiit Aegir w/ Sierra 2-EXs

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I currently have an older Outlaw Audio 5 channel amp that was built by ATI (Outlaw 750 model) that is a warhorse. I have no issues with it, will continue to use it, and I am not looking to get rid of it. However, just to try something different, I have thought about trying an amp such as the Schiit Aegir for my music listening. While not a true class A amp, it runs in class A for the first 10 watts before transitioning out of it. It is only rated at 20W RMS total though, so it is not a powerhouse and not something I would use for home theater soundtracks.

I also run a pair of very capable subs and high and low pass crossover at 80 HZ, so the Sierra-2 EXs are alleviated of much of the low end.

I sit 8 feet away from my speakers, and at my listening position now I like to listen at around 75-77 DB average, and obviously there are peaks above that that occur with dynamic recordings. Based on my calculations, and with the sensitivity of the Sierra-2EXs, I am estimating using the various "wattage for speaker calculators" available on the net, that when I listen to stereo music that my amps are likely using around .6 Watts RMS to reach 77 DB, and then for 12 DB peaks above that (89 DB) it would be using 9.4 watts.

So, my question is does anybody suspect there may be a problem with the Schiit Aegir not sufficiently powering my speakers in my room? On paper it seems like it would work just fine as I do not listen at extremely high volumes, but perhaps I am missing something. The Schiit Aegir usually gets recommended for high-sensitivity speakers, and not speakers that have sensitivity below 90 DB.

I also have read, but not sure this is true, that crossing over to a sub at 80 Hz increases the sensitivity of a speaker and it is therefore taking the power requirements for a speaker and approximately reducing it in half.
    Adding a subwoofer absolutely does NOT increase the sensitivity of any speaker, regardless of whether or not you high pass the speakers. It is impossible to externally increase the sensitivity of a speaker.

What adding a subwoofer and high passing the speakers does do, is free up some amplifier headroom so you might gain a small bit of additional maximum volume levels.

With an average volume level of 77dB, and then accounting for +10dB of headroom (music), you need to be able to reach 87dB at your listening position.

To reach this level, the Sierra-2EX will require approximately 3 watts (accounting for typical room gain) With that in mind, I would say you are safe with the Aegir.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Schiit Aegir w/ Sierra 2-EXs

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Adding a subwoofer absolutely does NOT increase the sensitivity of any speaker, regardless of whether or not you high pass the speakers. It is impossible to externally increase the sensitivity of a speaker.

What adding a subwoofer and high passing the speakers does do, is free up some amplifier headroom so you might gain a small bit of additional maximum volume levels.

With an average volume level of 77dB, and then accounting for +10dB of headroom (music), you need to be able to reach 87dB at your listening position.

To reach this level, the Sierra-2EX will require approximately 3 watts (accounting for typical room gain) With that in mind, I would say you are safe with the Aegir.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks Dave. That helps and re-assures me that the Aegir will work for me.

I also appreciate clearing up that sensitivity of a speaker itself does not increase if it is high-passed. I did not think that statement was correct, but I have seen that repeated a number of times over the years on the internet.