Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Official Music Recommendation Thread

Not an actual recommendation, but an interesting article on the Foo Fighters' lastest release and the possible turnaround in the "loudness war".
    http://productionadvice.co.uk/foo-fighters-dynamics/
    Last edited by curtis; 06-18-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Not an actual recommendation, but an interesting article on the Foo Fighters' lastest release the and the possible turnaround in the "loudness war".
    Good article lets hope other artist will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp71 View Post
    Today is new speaker day for me, so I'm listening to a lot of different music through Sierra-1s. One of the lesser known standouts--so one I'll recommend here--is Kenny Barron and Dave Holland's The Art of Conversation. It's jazz, and a piano and bass duet.
    Another great music recommendation and a artist I've never heard of. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Not an actual recommendation, but an interesting article on the Foo Fighters' lastest release and the possible turnaround in the "loudness war".
    Excellent article. Thanks for sharing this... Hopefully we will start seeing more of this trend...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Great article. The dynamics highlighted were prevalent in my youth but seem to have been lost in the last 10+ years.
    My view is that the temptation to "crank and compress" is born from earbuds and small speakers where dynamics can be lost and the listener left disappointed.
    I don't hear this as much in classical and jazz, and find myself increasingly attracted to those genres, perhaps for this very reason.

I'm sure this is not new music to anyone on this thread, but the digital downloads of Radiohead's OK Computer "OKNOTOK" remaster just became available at http://www.oknotok.co.uk/ with physical editions out in July.

Currently playing the 24-bit WAVs - the album sounds sensational on my Sierra 2s & L12!

Quote Originally Posted by bantamug View Post
    I'm sure this is not new music to anyone on this thread, but the digital downloads of Radiohead's OK Computer "OKNOTOK" remaster just became available at http://www.oknotok.co.uk/ with physical editions out in July.

Currently playing the 24-bit WAVs - the album sounds sensational on my Sierra 2s & L12!
    Thanks for the heads up! I just purchased this on hdtracks. Downloading now
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Great article. The dynamics highlighted were prevalent in my youth but seem to have been lost in the last 10+ years.
    My view is that the temptation to "crank and compress" is born from earbuds and small speakers where dynamics can be lost and the listener left disappointed.
    I don't hear this as much in classical and jazz, and find myself increasingly attracted to those genres, perhaps for this very reason.
    The "crank and compress" tendency has been around for a bit, but I think it became much worse with digital and increasingly smaller playback systems. I was an audio engineer, mainly in mastering, during the late 1980s to early 90s. In short I was told that if something I mastered was notably quieter during radio play than the commercial that followed it we'd lose a client. I always kept a solid dynamic range as much as possible (I was mainly a jazz musician as well, so I had a love for dynamics), but many others did not. (Edit: But even then I didn't expect the absurd heights the crank and compress methods would eventually reach).

I agree that classical and jazz haven't suffered nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by kyzersoze98 View Post
    Another great music recommendation and a artist I've never heard of. Thank you!!!
    You're welcome. Kenny Barron has been around for some time, and is one of the jazz piano greats. You may like Book of Intuition with his trio as well.

If you'd like a couple other more recent jazz piano albums check out Brad Mehldau Trio's Blues and Ballads and Fred Hersch Trio's Sunday Night at the Vanguard.

Not a recommendation, but in honor of Walter Becker, I've been playing some Steely Dan this morning on the Sierra-2's/Rythmik...sounding fabulous.
    -curtis