I love this thread. Great idea.

I'll throw out some recommends, but I'll also throw out the caveat that my musical tastes tend to lean (though not exclusively) to the more independent/off-the-beaten path stuff...the stuff you'd read about/hear about on pitchfork or cokemachineglow as well as various blogs like Gorilla vs Bear, etc.
So, here are a few things that popped up on my "recently added" on iTunes, things that I'm in to and listening to now:

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular : Here's a video for the first track "Time To Pretend" if you want to preview.

Vampire Weekend - S/T : Probably the most talked about band of the past 6 months, and their first full-length just came out this last weekend. If you scour the music blogs and keep up, you've surely heard of these guys. A sample of two tracks can be located here. Great, great album blending musical styles into something their own. Pitchfork put up their appearance on David Letterman.

Evangelicals - The Evening Descends : Great band from Oklahoma that, because of this fact, got lumped in with The Flaming Lips. But these guys are definitely carving out their own sound as to escape that trapping. A sample can be found here.

Okay, we'll start with those...don't want to bore anyone. This stuff may not be for everyone, but hey, that's part of the discovery of music. I can throw plenty more out there if people are digging this. Buying music is an incredibly expensive habit of mine...almost as expensive as my audio habit.