Thread: Will 170 SEs work with digital piano?

Default Will 170 SEs work with digital piano?

My wife's planning on buying the following Kawai digital piano:

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/di...MI/mp_8II.html

I have a currently unused pair of 170SEs. Will the 170SEs be overkill/underkill for this pro-grade keyboard?

How do I power them? Can I use an old stereo receiver (about 20 yo "decent" quality Yamaha) with the keyboard? From looking at the piano outputs, what else will work to power the speakers for low volume home use?

I used to have a pair of old Paradigms on an old Onkyo receiver on my wife's digital piano (a GEM Pro 1).

You have to be a bit careful with linking pro audio gear to consumer gear because pro stuff generally runs at a higher line level. The ideal situation would be to sell the CBM-170s and buy a pair of powered pro monitors.

The only down side to the CBM-170 (assuming the electronics are fine with the higher output level) is that they don't have the low end to fully match the piano. Of course, the same would be true of pro monitors. Either would probably need a sub to give the full range of the piano.

Looks like a great digital piano - the Kawai's have a great reputation.

Yes, but:

1.) You will need a sub to fill in the lower notes. (as noted above)
    2.) It would probably be easiest to drive them with a small amp/mixer combo. It is possible to run through a receiver but it may or may not be worth the trouble.

If it is only for solo practice headphones may be a good choice.

Thanks for replies. I'll check out the local Sam Ash (musical instrument chain) and online for the aforementioned recommendations. Mainly due to budget/space considerations, a sub is a no-go for now, but will definitely keep that in mind for later.

If we stick with the 170SE route, any inexpensive amp suggestions?

From the specs page, here are the avail jacks on the piano:

"XLR Out (L, R) with Ground Lift Switch, 1/4" jacks for Line Out (L/Mono, R or 2x Mono), Headphone jack, Damper/Soft pedal, Foot
    Switch (assignable), Expression (assignable), MIDI In/Out/Thru, USB (to Host), AC Inlet, Power Switch On/Off"

BTW, already have some Sennheiser HD595s for headphone use.

Your best bet for getting a good deal would be to look for closeouts. Almost any amp should be powerful enough if you are buying pro audio gear as they tend to be fairly large.

I'm sure this would work but I have no experience with it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...er-?sku=630127

Default Re: Will 170 SEs work with digital piano?

Ended-up getting this Kawai one:

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/di...MI/mp_8II.html

With a set of 1/4" to RCA cables, was able to hook-up my 170SEs to my old stereo Yamaha receiver (RX-930). Blows away any of the keyboards with built-in speakers that we tested. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy View Post
    You have to be a bit careful with linking pro audio gear to consumer gear because pro stuff generally runs at a higher line level. The ideal situation would be to sell the CBM-170s and buy a pair of powered pro monitors.

The only down side to the CBM-170 (assuming the electronics are fine with the higher output level) is that they don't have the low end to fully match the piano. Of course, the same would be true of pro monitors. Either would probably need a sub to give the full range of the piano.
    I've since hooked-up the piano to my main A/V gear (Pio 74txvi, 340SE LCR + VTF3), connected with a 1/4"-to-RCA cable. What problems would a "higher line level" cause? That is, what symptoms should I look for? Haven't noticed any problems so far.

I would expect it to come out as distortion or clipping if the AV gear couldn't handle the signal level. I would also expect it to be excessively loud. If it sounds good, you're probably in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy View Post
    I would expect it to come out as distortion or clipping if the AV gear couldn't handle the signal level. I would also expect it to be excessively loud. If it sounds good, you're probably in good shape.
    As always, thank you.