Thread: 170s, Onkyo TX-SR805 and iPod

Default 170s, Onkyo TX-SR805 and iPod

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a set of the CBM-170SEs. I'd be running them on a soon-to-be and new-to-me Onkyo 805. I'm in the process of ripping all of my CDs to mp3 for use with an iPod or other player as I'm simply sick of looking for the particular CD I want at the moment. My question for those that play mp3s through a fine set of speakers: does it suck? Does the quality of the speaker make it overly evident that you're listening to an mp3 and not a CD or other media? Do you find bit rates over 192 make a difference? (I'd rather not go with a lossless codec as you can only fit so much....)

I've listened to both mp3 and CD on a pair of humble Sennheiser headphones (HD 212Pro) and have not found much difference in quality. Other opinions? Thanks.

There's not as much of a difference between 192kbps and 320kbps as 128 to 192. I rip all music at 320 anyways just in case. It takes very careful listening to hear the difference between 320 and cd. I think it would be just fine with the 170s.