Thread: Need help to finalize Ascend set up

Default Need help to finalize Ascend set up

Hello All,
    I’m a new member and in the process of making a final list of audio and video equipment for my finished basement. I’m not an expert in the field but do appreciate quality sound. The use will be 80% TV and 20% music.

So far here’s my list for a budget of about $4,700. I’d like to stay under $5K bust still get quality components us much as possible.

Speakers:
    ascendacoustics.com
    CMT-340SE - fronts
    CMT-340SEC - center
    CBM-170 – surrounds

Subwoofer: HSU- VTF-2 MK 3
    hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

Receiver:
    Onkyo TX-SR705

TV
    Panasonic TH-50PZ77U 50" Plasma HDTV (1080p)

The immediate TV room is 13’ X 20’ X 7.5’. The TV will be placed by the 13’ wall. The back of the room is opened to the rest of the basement which is another 15’ X 30’.

I current get Verizon HD TV, the box has HDMI output. I’m hoping to connect everything using HDMI cables for the best signal quality.

I wanted to get some opinions on my set up before I pull the trigger. I’m looking for any red flags as far as any possible compatibility issue that may effect the quality of the audio/video. Also suggestions are welcome to consider different components, brands.

Thank you,

Alan

The Onkyo 805 is on sale at Circuit City right now for $699.

A VTF-2 Mk3 is $550 shipped

That Ascend set is ~$1200 shipped

That plasma is $2200 - OneCall has a $75 off coupon, but I don't know what shipping would be.

That would give you everything for under your target cost, plus you're upgraded to the Onkyo 805.

It should be an awesome setup.

BTW: I just saw that you can get a 10% off coupon for CircuitCity on ebay for ~$1.50 and they are supposed to work on the 805. That knocks another $70 off your costs and makes that 805 a steal. Heck, I don't need one and I want to get one.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I just checked out the Rocket package (without a sub) http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=10.1 and now I’m wondering if my original choice of Ascends is still valid. I’m not trying to stir a controversy here just trying to get the greatest value for the buck. With subwoofer Rockets will be more expansive though.

AV123 also makes good products....you should try to do some of your own comparisons.

One thing....remember to factor in shipping costs.

That is a great deal on the 805....might have to talk my friend into getting one.
    -curtis