Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some new hi-rez titles....

Dave....Ben....

The YES DVD with Wakeman is "live from the front row". Isn't that the concert they did at House of Blues? I would love to see a DVD with the lineup when it included Tony Kaye and Bill Bruford (in addition to Wakeman). Certain groups just cry for hi-rez, multi-channel. Pink Floyd, YES, King Crimson, ELP, Zeplin are just a few. I've seen one ELP DVD concert. It was terrible.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

Graphic Guy-

I will have to check into wheather or not the 'Live from the Front Row" concert is a Yes concert. I was under the impression it was a Rick Wakeman concert. I do not think it was recorded at the House of Blues. The concert that was recorded at the House of Blues was "the House of Yes" and is available on DVD and (I think) DVHS. I saw this concert on Direct tv as well as the same show on DVD. Picture and sound are good but not great.[]

I really wish they would have put the 'House of Yes' show I saw at the Universal Amp a few years back. All classic tunes, nothing from the Buggles/Trvor Rabbin era.[]

Hey Ben-

I do have all of the Yes DVD-A titles. I even have a demo from JVC when I purchased my first DVDA player. Nothing spectaculat though. I guess is should look at the yes website ...[:I]

Yes a BIC turntable. Still have it, don't know if it still works. The dust cover is cracked though. Spent many a teenage night listening to Yessongs and Close to the Edge on that baby. Spent alot of cash (at the time) for good seats to the concerts (80s) and now that I can afford seats, I cannot give up the time. Thanks God for concert DVDs[]

A little side note my wife noticed. On one of her Christian worship CDs Jon Anderson is featured singing with a group called 'According to John'. As you guys could probably attest, you cannot miss the sound of his voice when you hear it and he really adds to the beauty of the song.

Dave Nelms

Just a quick update for upcaoming Yes titles. I finally checked the 'YesWorld' wed site and they are putting out an Accoustic Yes DVD in Europe and it will eventually hit the US. Recorded in 5.1 DD.[]

There is also mention of a PBS performance recorded in March for a posible DVD[]

And to get off Yes for a moment, I just picked up a copy of the Blue Man Group's Complex Rock Tour DVD. Loved it on DirecTV, cannnot wait to watch it at home.[]

Dave Nelms

Been gone for a while due to a preamp failure. If you had a chance to read my other postings I am up and running with a new system.

I am looking at picking up a few new DVD-A discs and was hoping some of you have had a chance to listen to them.

Looking, or thinking about;
    1. Frampton Comes Alive, Peter Frampton
    2. Tommy, the Who
    3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton

Has anyone had a chance to get these discs up and running? And if so are they any good?

By the way, I did pick up Dr. Chesky's Surround Spectacular the other day but have not had a chance to listen. As soon as I do I will let you all know.

Dave Nelms

Dave, I've also been considering very strongly getting "Goodbye". It's one of the few recordings I know of that is available in both Hi-Rez formats. "Harmony" should sound really spectacular! And good to have you back.

I have Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on SACD and quite enjoy it. It's definitely worth picking up if you enjoy the album. I'd like to compare the DVD-A and SACD. Please post a review of Dr. Chesky's. I've been considering picking it up. Also, if you do get Frampton, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

I've just picked up The Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach and Fillmore East on SACD. I think I like the mix of EAP a bit more. I was a bit disappointed with the Fillmore album since it only includes the original LP tracks and not the extra tracks that were on the CD release a few years back. I found that pretty surprising since the SACD is a 2 disc set. Overall, though I enjoy both albums. I highly recommend checking out Little Martha on EAP. Great guitar duet!!

There are a few titles I would really like to get but I only have a DVD-A player, not a combo player.

Perhaps next year I will look into upgrading to a DVD/SACD player. My new reciever only has one set of multi channel inputs so I will have to get a combo player.

I would also like to pick up some of the newer SACD titles (Pink Floyd, Nora Jones, and others). Perhaps I should look into getting a good SACD player and just use it for two channel/high res music.

Dave Nelms

I forgot to mention the Dr. Chesky DVD-A.

I would not get this for any other reason than to show off your surround system. The music is extremely well recorded and sounds very natural. There are some excellent bass drum tracks and other drum kits that made my VTF-3R subwoofer come to life!

The surround is agressive at times, yet at others, it just seems to give you the appearance that you are absorbing into the music.

There are a few effects added into the mix to liven things up. There are some very deep heartbeats at the end that are there to test the extention of your system.

This is the disc I was using to evaluate how well my new Ascend speakers mated to my PSB mains. The surround pans were smooth and flawless. Finally I have a system when someone goes for a walk around the room, they sound as if they are <u></u>really<u></u>going for a walk around the room.

In my opinion, if you have an extra $15 bucks laying around and you want a very good surround demo disc, this may be the one.

If you have a friend who has not had fun with surround music, take an hour of their time and play this disc for them. If they do not alraedy have at least a 5.1 system, they will be on their way to get one.

Dave Nelms

Just a qwik update on the Dr Chesky DVDA,

I loaned the disc to friend of mine who is the sales manager at an Acura dealership. He has a new TL which has a DVDA surround sound system from the factory.

When I asked him if he was enjoying the disc he related that it seemed to have a lot of African style tracks and that was not his listening style. However it has been 3 weeks and he still has not returned the disc. I think something funny is going on here.

Also, just picked up the tribute to Ray Charles on DVDA, the Blue Man Group's latest 'the Complex'DTS and the Who's Tommy on DVDA.

One of these days I am going to have to just sit down and listen to all of these entire albums instead of just playing selected tracks once I get them home.

Dave Nelms

I picked up "Tommy" on SACD. It's terrific, remixed for
    5.1 by Pete Townsend. Do people have a preference for SACD
    vs. DVD-A and vice-versa? Does a title (such as "Tommy") released
    in both formats sound different?