Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some new hi-rez titles....

Dave...just got the DVD....and it IS GOOD.

-curtis

Curtis-

When I get my system back together that is probably going to be one of my first software purchases.

That and Step into Liquid.....

Dave Nelms

ahhhh....Step into Liquid is suppose to be very good too....that one should be here tomorrow from Netflix. I will let you know how it is.

-curtis

Favorite multi-channel disks (SACD, DVD-A, DVD concerts in 5.1)....

Pink Floyd--Dark Side of the Moon-if ever there was a piece of work that cried for hi-rez, multichannel this is the one. And it's done very well, too...especially considering its age
    YES--Close to the Edge-right up there with DSOTM as far as sonics and well done multi-channel
    Train (DVD)--Probably one of the best concert DVDs I've seen or heard...live in my favorite city, San Francisco. Even if you're a wee bit interested in their music, pick this one up.
    Alison Krause and Union Station (DVD)--rates up their with Train with better PQ (plus, if Alison would have me, she could be my Dixie Chicken)
    Beach Boys--Pet Sounds-finally a mix of this great music that shows Brian Wilson's genius
    Heart (DVD)--Live in Seattle...the girls can still crank it..two of the most beautiful voices in rock & roll

Just a few of the ones I've got my hands on. There are a few "stinkers" you should stay away from, but that's another topic.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

Hi graphicguy, nice to see you here. We had talked on cheaphometheater.com a while back (I'm bassnbrim). What version of "Close to the Edge" are you talking about? I was hoping that Rhino would release it on DVD-A, like "Fragile" and "Magnification". Its always good to see my favorite band get some positive press! []

bassnbrim....hello, again! Good to hear from you. Unfortunately, cheaphometheater has been stagnant for quite some time so I haven't been back there in a while.

My appologies, I meant "Fragile" on DVD-A, not "Close to the Edge". Don't know if Close to the Edge is even offered on multi-channel, hi rez versions.

I do have the concert DVD, Symphonique-Live. Also excellent, by the way...in both sound and PQ. I know YES has another concert DVD out that includes Rick Wakeman, but haven't heard or seen it. I think it was recorded at House of Blues a couple of years ago. I always threaten to get it just for Rick Wakeman's participation, but the set list is very near to what Symphonique's is.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HSU VTF-3

I thought you meant "Fragile"! Boy, I'd love for Rhino to release "CttE" in Hi-Rez. I agree with you on "Symphonic Live" being an awesome concert dvd, I hope that JohnnyCasaba, another Yes fan on the board will see it soon and post his impressions of it. I've mentioned it before, but I owe cheaphometheater.com big-time, thats where I first found out about Ascend Acoustics. Sad to see the demise of CHT. Good talking with you again. []

Don't know if anyone here is a Matchbox20 fan, but I watched their new concert DVD last night. I'd rate it high up there with any of the other concert DVDs currently on the market.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HSU VTF-3

Graphicguy-

If I am not mistaken there are some DVds out there with Rick Wakemam but no new releases with him as member of YES. He does appear on the classic 'Yessongs' film but that is sadly only in 2 channel stereo. There is also a 'Live from the front row' DVD with Wakeman. But if there is a new release that I am not aware of I would be happy to hear about it.

I also am a big YES fan and would love to see (I mean hear) some of the classsic YES titles remastered to DVD-A. Not only to hear them in 5.1 but to enjoy the benifit of high res audio. My old albums and BIC turntable just could not do the recordings justice.

Dave Nelms

Hey Dave, nice to see yet another Yes fan on the forum! I can highly recommend "Fragile" and "Magnification" on DVD-A. Rumors surface occasionally about upcoming releases of classic Yes albums on either SACD or DVD-A, so there is some hope for additional material on Hi-Rez. Yes is supposed to release an acoustic-only dvd in the next few months with the classic lineup (Anderson, Squire, Howe, White, and Wakeman) and there is a documentary dvd out now (YesSpeak) that has interviews with all of the current members. A BIC turntable? One of my favorite turntables of all time was the BIC I had many years ago, now those were the "good ole days"!