Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some new hi-rez titles....

The kind of stuff I listen to mostly is not going to be found on SACD & DVD-A any time soon. If anything, I might pick up a cheapy all-format player like the Pioneer 563 (or maybe the Toshiba that's coming soon) for those few titles I may want to check out.

My bigger priority at this point is to find a REALLY good regular cd player used. I'm curious to see how good cds can sound on a high quality player, supposedly getting close to duplicating the sound of vinyl in the process.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

I got some new hi-rez titles the last couple of days, all DVD-A's.

Blue Man Group - I LOVE this disc. This is truely "crank it up" stuff.

-curtis
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What is the name of this one? I picked up a couple regular Blue Man Group cds from the library to check out a couple months ago. After giving them a couple listens, I was underwhelmed. Very percussion heavy music which tended to sound too much the same after a while. Then again, listening only a couple times isn't really fair, but it made it hard for me to keep trying.

The one I have is just called Blue Man Group.

And yes..it is pretty percussion heavy.

-curtis

Damnit I knew I forgot a album while I was BB today. I did pickup a 563a and Diana Krall's When I look into your eyes.

Moving from DVD-A only on the Panasonic CP-72 to DVD-A and SACD on the 563a is great. Now I am listening to Pink Floyd, Norah Jones again via the SACD layer instead of normal CD. Impressive difference to say the least. Tomorrow I will throw some DVD-A at the player to see how it sounds.

Bighitter.....did you CP72 die on you? Mine died in 8 months, and that is why I got the 563a. You probably got the 563a on that sale Best Buy had....killer deal!!

-curtis

Actually the CP-72 is still going strong, I just wanted SACD and with the "sale" at BB I figured I would go ahead and pick up the 563a. Actually the full-time price is going to $149 now, however with the the sale at $141 AND the additional 10% off for the loyal customer weekend the total price was $127 + tax. Amazing deal.

How does the sound of DVD-A's compare between the two?

-curtis

I will report that back later today. I haven't had a chance yet to listen.

Do ya'll hear any difference in quality or resolution between the m/c 96kHz/24 bit tracks and the sometimes available 192kHz/24 bit stereo tracks?

Well after listening when I have had a chance over the past 2 weeks I believe the 563a is better on DVD-A than the CP-72, though no major differences. Just little nuances in the sound and some of the high end seems to be a little bit clearer now. It does not seem to like WMA files though so those will get left for hte CP-72 for now until the HTPC is completed.