Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some new hi-rez titles....

Curtis, I had "Two Against Nature" and while I consider myself to be a Steely Dan fan, the music on this disc just didn't do anything for me. I wanted to like it, but ended up selling it on eBay. "BMG" is a disc that I have been considering buying for a while, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    I do have two DVD-As coming: America "Homecoming" and Foreigner "4". I'll post my opinions after some serious listening.

I got "Two Against Nature" DVD-A on a whim. I really like the "Everything Must Go" CD, but was not thrilled with the DVD-A version.

Maybe Steely Dan does not sound good in multi-channel?? []

When I get home...I will be cranking up BMG....again!

-curtis

Just talking about Steely here, I really like them as well, have most of the older releases, love the latest one "Everything Must Go", but I was also disappointed with "Two Against Nature".

I bought the box set "Citizen Steely Dan" from BMG for around $25 w/free shipping about 6 months ago. Highly recommended, but I'd truly love for "Aja" to be released in Hi-Rez; to me that was their ultimate release. I had it on a MFSL lp for years, but finally sold my turntable and all of my half-speed mastered vinyl.

Curtis, I know you have the Pioneer universal player; Johnny which player do you have?

Ben,

Still no uni for me, I took home a couple to demo, but outside of the MC mixes, I heard no real difference with the 2 channel hi-rez stuff and the redbook portions or cd's.

Aja may be my favorite as well, tough choice between it and Royal Scam. I really like all of their albums with the exception of Two Against Nature. I don't understand why Gaucho is out on Hi-Rez but Aja is not. But I highly recommend Everything Must Go, even just the redbook CD, I was not that thrilled with the MC mix of it though.

I know what you mean, "Gaucho" had one minor hit "Hey Nineteen" (that I never cared for) while "Aja" was loaded with great songs like "Peg", "Deacon Blues", "Josie", and "Black Cow". Seems like a no-brainer to release it in Hi-Rez.

Ben -

So why did you decide to sell your turnable/vinyl? Are the new formats just as good and/or better, or were you just tired of fumbling around with vinyl?

Greg there were several reasons for selling off the vinyl. I just didn't listen to it much for the last several years. I had just invested in a home theater system and basically had two audio systems, but did not have a room that I could put the old stereo in. I'm getting lazy I guess, back in my younger years I didn't mind putting in the extra effort it takes playing and taking care of lps. Were all of these reasons good enough to sell a stereo that I had had for over 20 years? I don't really know, I still miss the old system at times but I guess I was being practical. I got good a fairly good price from my old turntable and cartridge and a Dr. paid me $20 each for the 40 MFSL lps that I had so it helped defray the cost of my HT system. In a perfect world I would have been able to have kept and enjoy both systems.

gotcha, thanks.