Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to jump on HD-DVD?

Default Want to jump on HD-DVD?

I got alerted this morning from a local enthusiast about this HD-DVD player deal at Walmart tomorrow.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/01...iday-wal-mart/

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret
    -curtis

That's a good deal, but an early adopter I am not. I'll hold out until Oppo releases an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD/DTS/etc. universal player.

Quote Originally Posted by clarke68 View Post
    I'll hold out until Oppo releases an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD/DTS/etc. universal player.
    Do you think they will?

I would use the HD-A2 as a placeholder until the format war settles a bit...I will just rent HD-DVD discs for now. Use my current Oppo for CD, DVD-A, and SACD.
    -curtis

I just pre-scouted my local WM Supercenter and there where 24 of them on hand.

BTW-BBK(?) the Chinese company that we know as Oppo has shown an HD DVD prototype. http://stor-age.zdnet.com.cn/stor-ag...7/495415.shtml
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-01-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Do you think they will?
    I don't know for sure, but I assume it's inevitable ("low-res" DVD will surely die one day, once the whole world has upgraded to HD). Their HQ is pretty close to where I live...when I bought my 980 I opted to pick it up there and save on shipping. When you go in, the product development guys are sitting right there, but all I could think to ask them was audio-geeky things, like "will you ever have an 'audio only' player with no on-screen menus?" (no) or "will you ever make a carousel player?" (no).

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    BTW-BBK(?) the Chinese company that we know as Oppo has shown an HD DVD prototype.
    Great intel, Quinn!

Quote Originally Posted by clarke68 View Post
    That's a good deal, but an early adopter I am not. I'll hold out until Oppo releases an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD/DTS/etc. universal player.

Normally I would agree with you, but come on, we are talking $100. And you still get the 5 free HD-DVD's from Toshiba. If I didn't already have the RCA version of the HD-A1, I'd be all over this.

+1 for what Johnny said. This "war" may drag on a bit, but it looks like HD DVD is in it for the long haul. The early adopters took a chance back in April of 2006 when the players were $500. I was one of them. This is a smoking deal on a product that has been out for over a year and a half. With the 5 free movies, it's like having the player for free. Hell, we blow a hundred bucks going out to dinner on Friday night if we have to fill the car up with gas on the way to the restaurant.
    - EVH III

I dropped the kids off at school at got to WM at 6 mins after 8 and all 24 were gone. Everyone in the checkout line had just one.

Just checked AVS and found one thru BestBuy business with the code SURV7DAYS for $89. $107 with tax and ship. http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...tID=BB10724640

EDIT- They sold out already.
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-02-2007 at 08:13 AM.

A friend of mine picked up two for me at a Walmart in Palmdale, CA.
    -curtis