Thread: Want to jump on HD-DVD?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Want to jump on HD-DVD?

I got alerted this morning from a local enthusiast about this HD-DVD player deal at Walmart tomorrow.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/01...iday-wal-mart/

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret
    -curtis

That's a good deal, but an early adopter I am not. I'll hold out until Oppo releases an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD/DTS/etc. universal player.

Quote Originally Posted by clarke68 View Post
    I'll hold out until Oppo releases an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD/DTS/etc. universal player.
    Do you think they will?

I would use the HD-A2 as a placeholder until the format war settles a bit...I will just rent HD-DVD discs for now. Use my current Oppo for CD, DVD-A, and SACD.
    -curtis

I just pre-scouted my local WM Supercenter and there where 24 of them on hand.

BTW-BBK(?) the Chinese company that we know as Oppo has shown an HD DVD prototype. http://stor-age.zdnet.com.cn/stor-ag...7/495415.shtml
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-01-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Do you think they will?
    I don't know for sure, but I assume it's inevitable ("low-res" DVD will surely die one day, once the whole world has upgraded to HD). Their HQ is pretty close to where I live...when I bought my 980 I opted to pick it up there and save on shipping. When you go in, the product development guys are sitting right there, but all I could think to ask them was audio-geeky things, like "will you ever have an 'audio only' player with no on-screen menus?" (no) or "will you ever make a carousel player?" (no).

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    BTW-BBK(?) the Chinese company that we know as Oppo has shown an HD DVD prototype.
    Great intel, Quinn!

Quote Originally Posted by clarke68 View Post
    That's a good deal, but an early adopter I am not. I'll hold out until Oppo releases an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD/DTS/etc. universal player.

Normally I would agree with you, but come on, we are talking $100. And you still get the 5 free HD-DVD's from Toshiba. If I didn't already have the RCA version of the HD-A1, I'd be all over this.

+1 for what Johnny said. This "war" may drag on a bit, but it looks like HD DVD is in it for the long haul. The early adopters took a chance back in April of 2006 when the players were $500. I was one of them. This is a smoking deal on a product that has been out for over a year and a half. With the 5 free movies, it's like having the player for free. Hell, we blow a hundred bucks going out to dinner on Friday night if we have to fill the car up with gas on the way to the restaurant.
    - EVH III

I dropped the kids off at school at got to WM at 6 mins after 8 and all 24 were gone. Everyone in the checkout line had just one.

Just checked AVS and found one thru BestBuy business with the code SURV7DAYS for $89. $107 with tax and ship. http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...tID=BB10724640

EDIT- They sold out already.
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-02-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Quinn
    I dropped the kids off at school at got to WM at 6 mins after 8 and all 24 were gone. Everyone in the checkout line had just one.

To bad you didn't stop in the night before and hide one behind something bogus in another isle!
    Jeff