Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Received my 5.1 340 setup.

Hi Clutch,

Definitely try the 340 center in the space beneath the TV. Strange that you are hearing certain sounds from behind the center channel. Is the TV placed in a corner of the room or against a flat wall behind it?

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

>My suggestion would be to try adjusting the delay on the CC; adjusting it will push/pull the sound horizontally. I'm not sure how your's works, but mine sets by just adjusting how many feet each speaker is away from the listening position. My manual does indicate though that adjusting the center away from the actual measurement can give a more desirable result.

>Ironically, your issue with the CC is one of the things i consider the strengh in mine. So far, i've been amazed how having my CC so much higher than my listening position can still "attach" the voice to the TV (which is also slightly above the listening position). I have to ask; do you recall perceiving my setup as having the same issue? I ask because I also have the 340 center sitting on my TV, and its probably greater than 20" above horizontal from the listening position.

> My final concern is upgrading from Klipsch. Those arn't exactly KLH's.

You're starting to remind me of me, with video cards..... ill upgrade a GF4 4600 with a Radeon 9700. Problem is, the GF4 4600 is a damn good card in the first place, and in the end it takes a benchmark to show a measurable difference.

Hey azanon you want to sell your GF4 4600? I need a new video card and don't feel like spending the money for a new one since I just bought the computer.

You wouldnt want it, its unstable in 3d. I just use it as a tester card (in 2d), if i'm having problems with my main card.

Hey Azanon,

No, I didn't notice the center issue I'm having with your 340 center or CliffL's 170 center.

To answer Davef's question, no, my TV is not flat against the wall or in a corner. The TV stand is about a foot from the wall and the rear of the speaker is two feet from the wall. Oh, I don't have the TV stand pictured above. I have a TV stand I put together out of mdf and 2x4s. Ugly but effective.

I moved the center below the screen last night. It certainly helped bring the voices to the screen but unfortunately it has to be placed right in front of the TV and it sounds really muddy. This weekend I plan to build a bracket that will allow me to angle the center. I think that will resolve the issue.

CliffL hooked me up with some great demo CDs. I have family staying at my house this weekend so I should have a few extra hands to help me A-B.

I'm not going to stress about it much. I've only had them for a few hours. I've got plenty of time to get them right.

Dont forget the CC delay too.... at least toggle it back and forth just to see how it changes your perception of voice and the location.

I plan to try everything this weekend.

So..what's the verdict??

Still not pleased with the dialogue. Don't know how that is going to effect overall decision yet.

I listened to a ton of music over the weekend courtesy of Cliff L. I'm simply blown away by the 340s for stereo. The space where my front mains go is a bit cramped so I didn't really have them where I wanted them initially. After deciding to move them there anyway I couldn't be happier. I could listen to disc 1 track 14 all day long (useful only to Cliff). It really is like being there.

Also, for the folks who like to say SV Subwoofers aren't good for music... horse $#!*. My 20-39 PCi sounds phenomenal with the 340 mains. You don't hear that here but you do hear a lot of people at AVS saying SVS aren't good for music. I'd be willing to bet the folks who like to say that are not folks who have heard an SVS in a music setup.

Alas though, I didn't buy Ascends for music. I bought them for home theater. Granted, now that I have heard really good speakers with music I will likely listen to a lot more. Music listening won't replace or even come close to cutting into my TV, DVD, and gaming though. I'm going to give it a bit more time to see if my impressions change.

Clutch,

Can you post some pictures on how the center is set up? Also double check that it is in phase.

-curtis