Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Received my 5.1 340 setup.

I have mine flush and about 15" behind it.....remember, the EXBAC circuit compensates for the baffle the TV creates, so maybe there shouldn't be an overhang?....I wonder, maybe I will play with it. It is about a foot above my ears, about 9-10 feet from the listenning position. The sound is well anchored to the TV screen. I have it angled a tad right now, but it did not make a difference.

-curtis

How did the music sound? I get nervous when you say you don't notice a difference over budget Klipsch...but I imagine that might be due to the fact that the source was the tv.

I haven't listened to a lot of music yet, that is why I didn't comment specifically on that. I might A-B the Ascends and Klipsches tonight. I need to borrow some CDs from my brother for critical listening.

The stands are "rounded"? They look square in the picture. Leave work right now and go home and put on some cd's. Get your priorities straight clutch! :-)

Hey Clutchbrake - do you think the problem could be a calibration issue? You didn't say whether you had calibrated the speakers. I also think angling the speaker might help. Perhaps the clarity of the center is a little too clear which draws you to the speaker rather than the TV.

Btw, I have some good CDs to demo remember? When you gonna have me and azanon & marc_h over for some Ascend lubbin? Or if you want to borrow some CDs, let me know & you can pick them up tomorrow? I work in W. Little Rock so it shouldn't be too much trouble to drop by?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Cliff_L

Hey Clutchbrake - do you think the problem could be a calibration issue? You didn't say whether you had calibrated the speakers. I also think angling the speaker might help. Perhaps the clarity of the center is a little too clear which draws you to the speaker rather than the TV.

Btw, I have some good CDs to demo remember? When you gonna have me and azanon & marc_h over for some Ascend lubbin? Or if you want to borrow some CDs, let me know & you can pick them up tomorrow? I work in W. Little Rock so it shouldn't be too much trouble to drop by?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Definitely not a calibration issue. Calibrating was the first thing I did. I honestly think the issue is the angle of the speaker. Tonight I'm going to put the speaker below the screen and angle it up a little. That will be easier than having it on top of the TV. It will only be temporary though. The permanent place for it will be on top of the TV.

I'd love to have you guys over. All together or one at a time, it's all good. This weekend isn't good because my parents are coming to visit. Probably not good for y'all anyway, being Valentine's weekend and all. I gave up female companionship in favor of my home theater. [] Y'all actually have lives.

I'd definitely love to get my hands on your demo CDs. They are far superior to any of the stuff I have.

I went home at lunch and put my Klipsch L/R back in the room. This will let me A-B stereo stuff.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by oontahey

The stands are "rounded"? They look square in the picture.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For the most part they are square. What throws them off for me is the beautiful rounded base of the stands. It is a sharp contrast to the squared-off speakers. The front of the speakers are kinda rounded (as are the stands) but the sides and rear are sharply square. It's a shame the 340s don't have the soft rounded edges of the 170s.

Hi ClutchBrake,

First off, let me apologize for the slight cosmetic flaw on one of your speakers. This is, of course, not acceptable to us and shouldn't be for you as well. We would be happy to swap the speaker for a replacement (at our expense of course) or I can offer you a b-stock discount for that speaker. Please contact me via email and let me know which option you prefer.

Secondly, regarding your center channel, did you use an SPL meter to fully calibrate all the channels? Is the center sitting in an "enclosure" so to speak? In other words, is it fully open to the left and right or is it enclosed?

Our EXBAC circuit is designed to compensate for extended baffle issues, thus it is more suited to have your center flush with the front of the screen as opposed to hanging over. Angling it downwards a bit should help as well.

What size television is the speaker sitting on?

Also, here is a link to a great product that I commonly recommend: http://www.btech-usa.com/bt14.html

Hope this helps!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hey Dave,

No replacement or discount needed for the cosmetic flaw. I'm going to swap it to the other side of the room so that the wrinkle will be away from the door.

I did calibrate everything. I use a Radio Shack meter and the Sound & Vision calibration disc. Sound & Vision isn't the fanciest calibration disc but I prefer it to the test tones of the receiver.

Here is my TV
    It is not enclosed at all. I like the stand you linked to. The one I found is a Sanus and does not offer enough height adjustability because of the shape of the back of my TV. That one may do the trick quite nicely. The problem I was running into angling the speaker was that the top of the TV is not very deep. This is part of the reason I don't have the center flush with the front at the moment. Putting it flush makes it unstable.

After going back to Home Depot I found the perfect mounting brackets for the rears. I had been looking in wood shelving section of Home Depot when I should have been looking in the wire shelving area. If anyone else is interested I highly recommend getting the 16" version of the brackets found here: http://johnsterling.com/maxbrackets.htm

For the shelf I grabbed a 12"x48" piece pf 3/4" bullnosed MDF and cut two 22" shelves. Home Depot will cut it for free.

The results were perfect for mounting 340 surrounds. I have plenty of space for the rear port and the brackets are way more than enough support for the weight (just make sure you attach them to the wall properly).

The brackets were about $6 each. They make a cheaper one but I didn't like the look of it. The cheaper one looked like it belonged in a laundry room. Though you can't really tell it in the picture the bracket I used looks quite nice. Once I start painting my house I will likely paint both the shelf and brackets to better match the room.

Thanks clutch..I appreciate you posting your thoughts and look forward to more.