Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-1 Stock Status

Default Sierra Stock

Folks,

Confirmation, does this include Sierra centers too ?

Smile

WTG Dave!!

What else can I really say, but.....

Bravo!!

BTW............... Enjoying your Sierras IMMENSELY!!

Gary
    Last edited by muzz; 11-09-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    Folks, Confirmation, does this include Sierra centers too ?
    Unfortunately, yes - center versions are out-of-stock too. The "parts" that are awaiting production and shipping are the cabinets themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    BTW............... Enjoying your Sierras IMMENSELY!!
    Hey Gary! Very pleased you are still enjoying the Sierras!!! (Giants had a tough loss this weekend...)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Latest Update

Hi Guys,

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you for being so incredibly patient in regards to waiting for Sierra-1. I have some good news and some bad…

The Sierra-1 are special loudspeakers in all regards. From their remarkable performance to the warmth and positive energy the bamboo cabinetry adds to a room. From knowing your purchase is environmentally friendly (light years ahead of any claims of environmentally friendly veneers or MDF,) to the fact that these loudspeakers are designed to last a lifetime, a true heirloom.

These speakers are my personal pride and joy. I enjoy them nearly every day of the week and as so many others have shared with me, they have a unique tendency such that one’s appreciation of their many attributes tends to grow greater over time. Quite the opposite of most loudspeakers…

Production difficulties aside, I was disappointed with the overall finish quality from our original cabinet vendor. To correct the problems, we hired a true cabinet finishing expert to refinish, by hand, nearly every single Sierra-1 cabinet. This unique individual, a true legend within the appropriate circles in Southern California, slaved over these cabinets until they met HIS exacting standards, which were even greater than my own. Unfortunately, the results of this were large unforeseen expenses on our end, prompting me to take drastic measures.

With the holiday season fast approaching and Sierra-1 sales volume greatly exceeding my forecasts, I was placed into a position whereby I had to either place new cabinet orders with our current vendor, or find another company who would be willing to work with us. It is important to note that simply obtaining this volume of laminated bamboo paneling that we require for production is exceedingly difficult and expensive. Notwithstanding the fact that working with the material is far more complicated and time consuming than MDF, which is what factory workers are trained for, as well as requiring A-grade router bits for the CNC routers…

For once I got a break I found a new vendor who was not only willing, but offered a level of quality and consistency that actually exceeded my expectations. This new vendor learned the subtleties of bamboo quickly and proved to me that they can provide us, -you-, with the quality that I demand. Decision time was here and this caused me great turmoil. Placing an order with our original cabinet vendor meant having product for the holidays, but carried the risk of receiving product that just might need to be refinished, again. Placing an order with the new vendor meant considerably higher costs and the possibility of not having product for the holidays. Looking towards the future and considering my demand for perfection, a decision was made, and I am confident that I have made the right choice.

This change in vendors has resulted in us missing getting product out in time for Christmas and I sincerely apologize for this. We did our VERY best, even going as far as arranging an air-shipment of 2-3 pallets worth of cabinets that we hoped would have been ready to ship this past Friday. This would have been a huge expense, costing more than 4 times what it would cost to ship a full 40ft container, but I was willing to do it.

Unfortunately, our vendor simply refused to rush production at the sacrifice of quality and missed the cut-off. Because we missed the Christmas cut-off, I made an “executive decision” and cancelled the air-shipment. The air-shipment would have allowed us to ship product about ten days sooner compared to when the ocean-freight container shipment arrives. Considering the cost of the air-shipment vs the additional time it buys us (only ten days) I felt this added expense was no longer justified.

So, that is the bad news ---

Now for some good news, at least I hope it comes across as good news…

I have been told that our container will be ready for shipment next week. We are in the process of arranging for faster than normal ocean freight and it looks like we will finally be able to resume production the week of Jan 14th.

I want you to know that I have done my very best to try and get Sierra-1 in production sooner. I am trying to avoid thinking about how costly this has been to us but I made a decision a long time ago (which now seems like a lifetime) that I would never let the lure of higher profitability and a quick buck compromise my standards for performance and quality. I admit, the temptation was there, but in the end I went with the same principles that I used to build Ascend Acoustics and I feel good about it.

For those of you willing to wait, rest assured that you will be receiving an absolutely wonderful and truly unique product, built of only the highest standards. For those of you no longer willing to wait, you have my deepest apologies and I can’t thank you enough for considering our products and sticking around this long.

For those of you waiting to get Sierra-1 orders in, pending this announcement, now is the time. Our backorder list is quite large and growing daily. In addition, once our shipment arrives there will be a $40-$50/pr price increase. Loaner speakers will no longer be offered starting Jan 2.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding…

Attached are some pictures of Sierra-1 cabinets in production… (Just so you know that they are coming )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I made a decision a long time ago (which now seems like a lifetime) that I would never let the lure of higher profitability and a quick buck compromise my standards for performance and quality. I admit, the temptation was there, but in the end I went with the same principles that I used to build Ascend Acoustics and I feel good about it.
    Way to go Dave. It can be darn inconvenient when those pesky convictions raise their heads...but I believe it will pay off in the long run, both for you and your customers.

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    once our shipment arrives there will be a $40-$50/pr price increase.
    That's actually $50-$60 less than the increase you've been mentioning all along.

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Attached are some pictures of Sierra-1 cabinets in production…
    Nice photos! Do you have any that show the internal cabinet bracing?

Quote Originally Posted by clarke68 View Post
    Way to go Dave. It can be darn inconvenient when those pesky convictions raise their heads...but I believe it will pay off in the long run, both for you and your customers.
    Thanks Clarke!

That's actually $50-$60 less than the increase you've been mentioning all along.
    Correct -- I am really trying to keep the retail costs on these as low as possible. Not an easy task with the almighty dollar in a freefall.

Nice photos! Do you have any that show the internal cabinet bracing?
    Not at this moment -- I suppose I can snap a few.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have a few questions:

1. If I placed an order online now, what is the eta on the product.
    2. Will ordering piano black increase the wait time?
    3. Is the price increase already reflected on the site?
    4. Will I be getting these "new" cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by o0Lo0P0o View Post
    I have a few questions:
    Happy to answer your questions!

1. If I placed an order online now, what is the eta on the product.
    If you place an order now, we should be able to ship by Jan 18th, possibly sooner.

2. Will ordering piano black increase the wait time?
    No...

3. Is the price increase already reflected on the site?
    No, prices will increase on Jan 14th. Prices on the site reflect current pricing.

4. Will I be getting these "new" cabinets?
    All customers that are waiting for Sierra-1 will be receiving cabinets from our new vendor.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanx for the help dave, If I ordered tonight would I receive loaners? Is the shipping back included with loaners?

Thanx for the help dave, If I ordered tonight would I receive loaners? Is the shipping back included with loaners?
    Only if you wanted to receive loaners The loaner program will officially end on Jan 2.

Yes -- we will cover the costs of return shipping for the loaners. We are about to close shop in the next 5 minutes, if you want to call it in now. Otherwise, feel free to order online or give us a call tomorrow.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com