Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help with receiver upgrade

If it were me, I wouldnt add another HDTV link just for the convinence of using the receiver remote. You risk losing picture quality. I connect my HDTV with a DVI cable coming directly from the STB.

Receiverwise, i'd go for one of the base model Denon or Onkyo that supports at least 5.1, especially if you intend to use a powered sub to handle the lows. My thinking on that is they're budget speakers, so dont go crazy on the receiver. But I havent actually a/b'ed lower vs higher end receivers, so take that with a grain of salt.

I am an HK fan myself. I recently heard a NAD integrated amp with my Ascends, that sounded great, and I know there are many happy NAD owners, so I would put NAD receivers on the list too.

-curtis

I like the specs on the HK 525, but that must be an older unit? It's not at CC, only the AVRX30 models. I only have 2 component inputs on my TV, and 3 component devices (Cable, DVD, and HD STB). None of them use DVI, and my set is calibrated for the components. The cable box is currently connected directly to the TV, while the DVD and STB are switched through a cheap JVC component switch. Don't notice a problem with PQ. I figured the 525 has a 50Mhz bandwith which should be sufficient. Same for the Onkyo TX-SR601. I figured I could switch them all through the receiver.

Am I correct in assuming that upgrading to models in this price range will make a big difference sound-wise?

I have the HK 525 and have been very happy with it. Right now I use it as a pre/pro and use an external power amplifier. I will be moving to a real pre/pro in the next few months.

The first time I heard Ascends was at Hsu Research on a receiver just like yours, the Pioneer D509S. In fact, that is the same receiver Hsu Research uses now for demos on their Ventriloquist System. Back then it sounded it good to me.

Maybe there is a specific issue with your receiver. Is there any one you know that would be willing to lend you another receiver for testing?

-curtis

Every time I ask about the difference from going from a $250 receiver to a $500 one like I am thinking, I get such mixed results. I'm not saying it sounds terrible, but people have told me upgrading the receiver will make a huge difference. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who can lend me a receiver, so the only way to know is to go through the hassle of trying one, which is why Circuit City seems the best. 6th ave has a 15% restocking fee, but they have the Denon 2803 that I also was looking at. Don't know what to do....The main advantage to the status quo is that I like my remote with the Pioneer. Control everything and I'm used to it. But if a quality receiver would noticeably improve sound quality, then I'd do it. Unforunately, I get different answers each time I ask the question.

I will tell you what I have found with two seperate receivers and then with the power amp.

When I first got my CBM-170's, I was using a Marantz SR4300. The system sounded fine. I then got the HK 525, the system then sounded noticeably livlier....more of everything came out of the speakers. Then I added the ATI AT1505 amp which is 150wpc x 5, the difference was a bit tighter and authoritive bass, maybe cleaner overall too, but I would really need to A/B to be sure.

The difference from going to from the Marantz to the HK was more noticeable than adding the ATI power amp.

From reading your posts about receiver, this is what I feel, either something is not hooked up right, the quality of sound from the cable box is poor, or there is a problem with the receiver. Since DVDs and CDs sound fine, I think the receiver is OK.

-curtis

Everything is hooked up fine, and there's no problem with the cable box. I'm sure of this.

The concern I have is, for the price I spent on the speakers, am I doing them a disservice by using my current receiver? DVDs sound OK, but TV and CD's sound pretty dead, especially in the surrounds.

I really like my 3803. 6th ave had a deal about a month ago where you could pick one up for about $700. It may still be going on. There is a huge thread on avs with the details.

As far as the remote goes, regardless of what receiver you buy the remote will suck. Do yourself a big favor and pickup a good universal remote. I use the mx-500 and love it. It makes life soooo much easier. Well worth the extra $110.

Derek

Well, remember, CD's are two channel material, so playing them in a multichannel set-up, the surrounds are always going to be processed and "interpreted". The same goes for TV unless it is specifically 5.1 or Dolby Surround.

I love my MX500 too!

-curtis

Curtis, where did you get your HK525, and how much did you spend.
    The newer models don't look nearly as eye-pleasing as the 525, and onecall.com has a nice deal (although they are out of stock at the moment). I might try the Onkyo or a similar HK (330?) at CC in case I want to return it.