Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 lbs of sand. 1 pair of StudioTech SP30 stands. What now?

both of my stands have about 20+ lbs of play sand in them, ever though studiotech said's they are fillable, at one time I just ran the speaker wires down the back side so I could not see the wire, used a black zip tie right under the speaker tray and another at the bottom

Default Straight from the source

Well, sorry, the kids kept me pretty occupied over the weekend, so I didn't have an opportunity to try filling the StudioTech speaker stands again. I did receive an email reply from a StudioTech representative, advising:

...I have talked with our warehouse
    staff and have gotten some helpful information for you. They think the play sand may be too course/thick to go in easily into the pole opening thru your make-shift funnel. They think that your make-shift funnel opening is too wide and is just allowing the sand to block the pole opening instead of going into the opening to fill it. They had a couple of recommendations:
    1. use a finer grain of sand and a regular funnel (where the spout fits into the opening in the pole)
    2. sift the sand you have to remove the larger pieces/granules. Then use a regular funnel (where the spout fits into the opening in the pole)

Using a regular funnel that the spout fits into the opening in the pole will allow the sand to enter into the pole better as it isolates the sand stream into the pole at a steady rate.
    I hope you find this helpful.

Best Regards,
    ######
    StudioTech, Inc.
    Obviously, senses of humor differ dramatically, but a coworker who just read this (1) cracked up laughing, and (2) offered a litany of comments about the appropriateness of speaker-stand manufacturer claims to producing sand-fillable products. For a minute there, he sounded a heck of a lot more like a New Yorker than a Bostonian.

-gL
    Thanks, gL
    Yamaha receiver | Rotel 2-channel amp | ridiculous overkill, AKA the SVS PB12-Ultra | and 1 sweet new pair of CBM-170SE's

Hi groundloop,

I find the response they gave you unacceptable... Please send an email with your concerns to our account rep Bo, at "bod -at- studiotech.com" Replace the -at- with @. You might even want to show him the response you received.

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

cat litter might work it would smell alot better than sand but really use the finest type of sand you can find I got mind from home depot