Thread: Hk Avr635 Grr?!@#!

Default Hk Avr635 Grr?!@#!

I bought one of those last year when they were on closeout prices as the 645's were about to be released. Thought myself to be lucky when it worked fine.

Havent been using my 5ch ascend se's much lately. But when I have (mostly movies).. it seemed odd, like it fell out of calibration. Actually had time to listen to music today and finally realized the FL channel is .. really quiet. Initially hoped the speaker was bad so I had an excuse to trade up to the sierras.

But nope. Checking cables, swapping speakers, and receiver test tones (to rule out input sources) showed that it was the receiver. Now good news is, I can run the front speakers run at (receiver channel trim settings) +10 Db, -10, -9 to get it to sound right (used to be +3, +4, +3). But the rears are too loud now, even set at -10, -10 (cant go lower). Ah well, good enough compromise for now. That is, if it doesnt deteriorate.

Guess I'll have to see how HK's customer service works out.

One thing to check ---

Be sure your speaker cable on the front left speaker is not shorted. If it is OK, DEFINTITELY contact HK!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    One thing to check ---

Be sure your speaker cable on the front left speaker is not shorted. If it is OK, DEFINTITELY contact HK!
    Just double checked it by swapping cables, (no kitty teeth marks so I assumed it was good last I checked the setup), yeah something's up with the LF amp. Wouldn't a short with the cable would lead to 'worse things' anyway?

Even with the DB boost to match volumes as the other channels .. it seems like that amp doesnt have as much 'juice' to drive the speakers (there's not as much bass response/seems like woofers arent as happy). Not really an electronics guy but I'm guessing there's a bad capacitor somewhere.

Been busy so I havent had a chance to contact HK during during work hours

I havent kept up with AV stuff, any one have recommendations for a 2ch amp these days (to drive 340SE's)? I'll feed my LF and LR from the 635 preouts instead of using its internal amps. If price is right I might just consider that route and not have to deal with shipping (costs&time) and not having a receiver for the repair duration