Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: trigger happy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Azanon, I also like some bite in my humor, but I’d like to share a feeling that’s developed over a few years of living. To ensure the humor is enjoyed I believe you need to make the friend *first* and then make sure they understand when you are using humor. That being said, we are all still human, and make mistakes in what we say and write. Sometimes things need to be retracted if it becomes clear they were misunderstood.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, now I was mostly defending Jake, Eric. I dont think I really crossed any line, other than perhaps my lashing out at Bob once -and i'd like to think we've since made up. My snickering at what MLS said was just reinterpreting what it sounded like to a lay-folk; a bunch of complex adjusment needed to make RS750s sound right - something i'd never be able to do. I wasnt making fun of him, just the situation, that make sense? Now I'll admit I do share Jake's humor regarding "Rockets" approach (not sure the name of their company, lol) to slashing 50% off their speakers, then jacking it back up. I believe MLS has to be accountable to the consumers for that, so I think that's fair game. I understand others, like BradJudy, are perfectly ok with that. Regardless, if Ascend ever does that, I hope I never find out because I couldn't help but feel like i got ripped off. Speakers arn't like, say, computers where an existing technology will sell for half the price 1 and one half years later because they will have increased that much in performance in that time (Moore's law).

As for retraction, I don't believe in regretting what you say. If regret is really necessary, it should be a major exception to the rule, especially for someone as old as I am (32). My approach is clarification, when its needed. Truth isn't always pleasant, and I don't personally think that someone has to be my enemy simply because I disagree on this point, or that point. I dont make friends well with sensitive people, as I tend to be quite blunt. So if the other feels agreement on all issues is necessitated for friendship, oh well! I dont believe in compromising values to make a "false friend".

Azanon

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Jake,

There has been mention that SOCS will be available for other speakers later down the road, and that there will be a "kit" so people can customize the software for whatever speaker they own. If the later happens, then I think we can see some more interesting posts.

Eric,

You have heard a SOCS on a RS750? Can you point me to where you posted your thoughts?

-curtis
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...t=5708&start=0

Actually, if I understand it right, the software is a general phase and volume correction. The coefficients can either correct for either the speaker-only (SOCS) or for the whole speaker and room part of the audio chain (everything from the electrical signal at the end of the wire to your ear) (RCS). If you want the second, or if they have not yet developed coefficients for your specific speaker, you use the mobile measurement kit (MMK) to measure your equipment and then send it back to them to develop the corrections coefficients.

The last set of demos Mr. Schifter has been giving were with a set of RS750 coefficients. It have read about demonstrations of earlier instantiations using Vandersteens and Martin Logans at different times - I don't recall the models.

It will be an audiophile-thing for some time, what with the cost. Maybe in a few years, when we're all driving anti-grav floating cars, we'll be able to have the receiver tell our Asimo robot to wander over to the speakers, take the measurements, and then it will correct the room. More likely, I'll have to choose between the Ascend Acoustics and AV123 nerve implants that broadcast sight, sound, and smell directly to my brain.

But then we''ll be saying that the Onix nerve implants make wine smell like soda pop! []

enjoy!

Curtis,

Boy...where to start? I guess this is as good a place as any...

Quote: Yes, Ascend does sell speaker wire, a third party brand. But nowhere on this forum has anyone said "the Ascend speaker wire will make your speakers sound better."

So you're actually stating that the speaker cable sold by Ascend has no sonic value whatsoever, but is purely for looks? But wait a second - what about this...

Quote: The very notion of Rocket Risers implies that "we know that enough of you will need to raise the speaker to make it sound better, so we offer the risers".

Hmmmm...seems somewhat of a contradiction to me. Your argument is so flawed I don't even know what angle to refute it from. Using YOUR rational, as stated above, does not "the very notion" of speaker cable offered for sale through a speaker manufacturer imply an improvement? It must, otherwise there would be no reason to carry it...correct? Surely David's not going to tell me I will hear absolutely no difference whatsoever by using the expensive cables he sells - but is this what YOU are stating?

Thank you for putting words in our mouths, Curtis, but the truth is we do a pretty good job of this ourselves. Should you actually care to know the reason for the Risers, you would find out that these were created specifically at the request of several RS 750 owners for reasons not isolated specifically to sonic improvement. The most notable of these is stability. The 750 is a fairly narrow speaker with a somewhat small footprint. As a result, our customers with this speaker on a high-pile carpeting, or with dogs, children, high traffic areas, or other reasons for concern tend to need something with a slightly larger platform. Rather than create 2 accessories - like many companies have done ("outrigger" supports and stands) - we created the Risers to solve a couple issues simultaneously. We've never spoken, though you seem to know what I'm thinking before even myself. However, had you actually called me on this one, you would have learned that in many instances I will advise against the 750 Risers depending on the room environment. They are certainly not necessary for everyone, and are not "needed" to improve the 750 anymore than an Ascend customer MUST have wall mounts and speaker cable.

But I see your point - we should be punished for offering this, and any other accessory for that matter. You know, I wasn't going to buy the lens kit for the new digital camera I purchased, but I guess I have to now - if they're offering it, it must be the only way my camera works well!

Quote: SOCS - What is the claim that it will do? That for $1500, it will make a $1500/pr of speakers sound like a $40,000 pair? There is not even a set release date for this product, yet there are already reviews on how well it performs, and the reviews are not written by a third party. Who is the target audience?

I love this one. Where exactly did we say that it'll make a $1500.00 speaker sound like a $40K speaker? I can't seem to find us stating this anywhere...oh yes, I forgot...YOU are speaking for us now. I'm going to cut this one short...please do me a favor, Curtis, and don't post on subjects you have no first hand knowledge on. SOCS is currently in beta test, and the reviews you have seen thus far are from these beta testers. Please give me your definition of third party, because I think we're getting crossed here.

Regards,

Steve Ozmai
    steve@av123.com

Steve,

You need to attribute who the quotes you use are from. People are going to think those are all from Curtis with his name at the top and not take the time to read all this junk to see they are mostly from Jake.

Azanon,

I don't regret intent. I just sometimes regret the execution of it if I failed to communicate - even if it's only to a few people while the majority of others "get it." I have a good friend that isn't that sophisticated in humor. It is easy to jerk their chain or to put one over their head and so ridicule them in front of others. There has been a few times I've regretted fast words there, and believe me I have no intent to harm.

I "Mr." Mr. Schifter sometimes as a weak inside joke. He is younger than I, and has told me on more than one occasion to call him by his first name. But in this venue, I also mean it to show he and Mr. Fabrikant the respect I feel they are due, to welcome their input on these forums. Neither would I come to your house and "diss" you in front of your children.

[:I] BTW, it's Mr. A M A R ****. mea culpa.[:I]

And I also have a massive amount of respect for those people like Mr. Bott and Mr. (?) Curtis [] who give of their time to try to bring a little order to this exercise in anarchy that is the internet.

I do get some insight from a large discount being offered on a sale.
    Moore's Law is an interesting point. So are mass-production manufacturing methods. I also wonder about things like overhead, warehouse space, inventory taxes, as well as profit margins. In the actual discussion of that sale, I read some interesting things like comparison of the costs through the manufacturing plant vs. the cost delivered to Colorado.

Then there's our personal decisions as consumers. We have to consider sales tax, use tax, shipping costs, whether I'm destroying the local economy by not purchasing through a brick and mortar store. "Made in America," vs. where the profits are going (My Toyota Tacoma was manufactured in Fremont, California - I drive past it daily).

I just happen to find it a complicated matter - guess that's all. Keep yoru sense of humor, and enjoy the wit but consider the veracity of people like Jake.

enjoy!

They were in his post, so I attribute them to him. If I'm mistaken, I'll be the first to apologize.

Steve Ozmai
    steve@av123.com

So when this one gets locked can we just start another one right above it like we did the last one? :-)

just kidding...just kidding...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But in this venue, I also mean it to show he and Mr. Fabrikant the respect I feel they are due, to welcome their input on these forums. Neither would I come to your house and "diss" you in front of your children.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Fully agree with that. To my knowledge, Ascendforum.com isnt MLS's house even figuratively, though I'm well aware he's welcome here. I'll also continue to show DF respect here, as I have thusfar. But to clarily, disagreement does not equal disrespect, which is the extent of anything I've had with DF on these forums.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Steve Ozmai

They were in his post, so I attribute them to him. If I'm mistaken, I'll be the first to apologize.

Steve Ozmai
    steve@av123.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Please link the post. Because most of these I only find in posts that Jake made.

I'll be honest with you here - I have no desire to read Jake's post and I'm not even going to bother to do so - I've wasted enough time with this guy and I know the type - these forums are a great way to boost your self esteem when reality just isn't cutting it. I did, however, read Curtis' posts as he is a moderator on this forum and participates quite frequently on the AV123 forum. His words ARE of importance to me and I read what he has to say - just as I'm sure he's reading this.

Again, if I misread his post, the one that contains the quotes I included, I am sorry and I have no argument. Let's clear this up...because I honestly don't have the time or the desire to go through and find hidden meanings. WHO is the one that is implying that our SOCS makes a $1500.00 speaker sound like a $40,000.00 speaker? WHO is stating that the Risers are "necessary" to make the 750's "sound better?" If it's not Curtis then I sincerely apologize - seriously - and it's my bad (I'll delete the post if so). If it IS Curtis, then my argument stands.

Sorry for any confusion.

Steve Ozmai
    steve@av123.com