Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: trigger happy

I understand that Eric D is a satisfied Rocket owner but I sense that he will be an Ascend owner in the near future as he's starting to use the Ascendonite language now!! (What are we anyhow?- maybe it's Ascendians.)

[quote]Originally posted by Eric D
    [ At least I was able to get rid of the primary 50 hz hump, which made a my subwoofage awesomer.[]

Randy

Ascenders

-curtis

I suppose we could be Ascendateers but that seems taken and it makes me think of Mickey Mouse anyhow. []

Randy

Dear Ascend Forum Folk…

I’ve decided to write a bit of a reply after sharing some very nice mail between David and myself. David invited me to reply on your board… so here I am. I’m not the least bit interested in any of the goings on from this thread or others, but I would like to set the record straight a bit about our Perpetual Technologies P-1A, and Speaker Only Correction software (SOCS)…

On the hardware side, the P-1A is a “general purpose DSP-Engine” capable of some pretty remarkable stuff… It has on-board “interpolation software” (custom designed algorithms) that allows the user to “interpolate” 16-bit Redbook Digital to a full and complete 24-bit(s).

As well… it has hardware based upsampling so that one can input 16-bit data (again, like CD’s)… and output 24-bits (like DVD et. all). This in and of itself is pretty cool, and the P-1A has won numerous awards all over the world (Asia, Europe etc.), including the coveted Class “A” rating from Stereophile (provisional) and the top award from The Absolute Sound as well.

Our SOCS program has been delayed many times over the years due to software issues only recently solved. There was never any real issue with the hardware, or the code itself that Keith and Peter have written… just our Chief Scientist (Keith) has been through an awful lot (personally) over the last few years… and we were slowed by this. In all, between the custom OS and all of the custom code, there are about 150,000 lines that have been written to date. The bottom line is this, all is well… and we are proceeding.

In simplified form let me explain that the data necessary for us to create a “coefficient set” for a given loudspeaker requires both on and off axis measurements (at distance) as well as several near field responses for the woofer(s) and port(s) as well. This data is then combined and then we set about converting all of this (convolving) into data that can be fed into our “coefficient generator” within a PC. This process takes a Hyper-Threading Pentium 4 about an hour to an hour and a half before it spits out the final corrections. We then load this (via USB) into a P-1A…

The P-1A will be able to correct for frequency (amplitude) variations as well as PHASE deviations over the entire band. At present, we have about 1125mS of correction “aperture” (more than enough for even the most violent of offenders) available to us.

EVERY speaker has phase and amplitude errors… some are more gross than others… but they all have it… I’ve seen some very popular loudspeakers with better than 5000 degrees of (cumulative) phase error (adding up all the phase “wraps” etc.)… With the P-1A we can achieve a +/- 10 degrees of error through the band, as well as about a +/- .25dB of amplitude error finalized. Don’t even get me started on pre-corrected amplitude error… I’ve seen some dillies.

The SOCS software will be available for ANY loudspeaker. We used our own Rocket RS 750 for this phase of the beta program as this was convenient for all parties working on this. I didn’t feel like going out and buying 8 or 9 pairs of (say) B+W N802’s etc.

Our library of corrections contains many speakers now… but we are now adding more daily. Most speaker companies have fully cooperated with us as they realize that this could sell more speakers (for them) as well as allow the full performance capabilities of their given speaker to be realized.

Do you need it…? NO… would you want it after hearing what it can do… I feel safe in answering a RESOUNDING YES to that. We’ve demonstrated earlier / less powerful versions of this technology using speakers given to us by Thiel, Magnepan and others… to 1000’s at CES (two years running), and around the world in more than 2 dozen early demos of this technology. I stopped doing this until the software was finalized and we were ready to go to market. There are to date just over 3500 P-1A’s out there and ready for this… with more being sold each day.

We’ve also demo’d this technology to aircraft, automobile and railcar manufacturers… as this technology of canceling the phase and amplitude error is the ultimate expression of adaptive “noise reduction” technology. I can tell you that these demos were most impressive… and as I’m involved in the automobile business in Far East Russia, I would not be too surprised to see this technology or something very similar to it in automobiles sooner than you think.

So, there you have it… David and I are working closely in several areas together as the companies and the people have nothing but tremendous respect for each other… I think David is First Cabin ALL THE WAY… and hopefully all of you will get to see some serious fruits from this friendship soon…

Wishing you all the very best…

mls

Mark L. Schifter
    Founder and President
    av123 / Perpetual Technologies

Mark,

Thanks for the post and raising our member count. []

I think we have been able to take a step back from events in the past couple of evenings and take a breath. Things seem much more civil now...myself included.

Would love to experience SOCS on the RS750's, and let us know when the Ascend speakers make it into the database.

thanks again for stopping by

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Mark,

Thanks for the post and raising our member count. []

I think we have been able to take a step back from events in the past couple of evenings and take a breath. Things seem much more civil now...myself included.

Would love to experience SOCS on the RS750's, and let us know when the Ascend speakers make it into the database.

thanks again for stopping by

-curtis
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the welcome Curtis... I sincerely appreciate your message...

Soon enough we will have SOCS for everyone to listen to... My guess is next week we will launch out... []

All the best...

mls

Mark L. Schifter
    Founder and President
    av123 / Perpetual Technologies

If I may ask a dummies question here. I've already read the appropriate discussions at the av forum.

How is the SOCS and P-1A hooked into a system? Is the P-1A like an equalizer, that the SOCS (a CD disc?) programs?

With my stereo system (an HK 3400 receiver), how would I even think about adding these features?

Thanks,
    Pegleg

Ummm, the P-1A doesn't have a DAC. It is hooked up in the digital stream between your CD player and an outboard DAC - for pegleg probably your receiver. It can be defeated if you're passing a DD or DTS signal.

BTW, there is supposed to be a new box out soon that will be able to run the correction software, called a P-5, that includes multiple digital and analog inputs (and ADC), switching between them, a DAC, and volume control. It will be a digital stereo processor/preamp.

The CD is a sample disc that they prepare by "pretreating" the digital bits to correct for a specific speaker. You can play it on your existing equipment to see what effect SOCS would have.

enjoy,

ooops....I stand corrected....and deleted my description

Thanks Eric.

-curtis

Oh yeah, meant to add: Isn't Ascendonite some mineral from an exploded planet that weakens pompous audiophiles?

And I thought of changing the description of the "Rocket Riser" stands for 750s to "Rocket Ascenders" or "Rocket Awesomizers." Would either allow me to qualify as an Ascendamaniac?

Ascendateers... [chuckle] Damn, now I'm going to have "Who's the leader of the band," etc. stuck in my head all day. Fitting penalty for wandering over here I guess.

[)]