Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: trigger happy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I too have wonderful value in my Rockets!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    And ive said it a few times now, they were my second choice. I cant wait till i get the chance to hear some Rockets in action.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cjsparky

Agreed, dead horse!!! Lets stop and have a beer! In all seriousness, if anyone is around atlanta that will let me listen, i would love to hear them first hand.

Christian
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm in the Atlanta area...towards Lawrenceville. Give me a holler. I would like to check out those Rockets.

nhan, what are you running your ascends off of?

I am using a Kenwood Sovereign reciever, and it works OK but I am looking to use it as a pre/pro and get a 200+ amp to run the rockets off of. Give me a call anytime at 404-925-1875 and we can arrange a listen...Only problem is I work on weekends, but we can work something out I'm sure. I live in Kirkwood near East Lake...familiar with it?

An Onkyo898 is running mine. One thing, I have the speakers mounted on the walls with them directed towards the sweet spot. By the way is not the "ideal" listening position, but if need it would not be a big deal to take them down...should be fairly quick and simple.

Bummer, weekends are all I have. Just did a look up for Kirkwood, we're about 30mins or so apart. I'm towards intersection of 85N & 316. I'll give you a buz..

[][][]I'm still rolling from oontaheys "awesomer" post!![][][]

OK...no more beating a dead horse.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

-curtis

What about spanking the monkey?

http://www.vectorlounge.com/04_amste...m/flamjam.html

Monkeys scare me.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by azanon

[quote]As for its bass performance, what enthuist cares about low bass performance anyway since 90% of us will be sending all those frequencies below 80hz to our subs?

While the big boys are over on the deceased equine, I'd like to talk a little about this statement. Not from any Hatfield/McCoy AV123/Ascend point at all, but just from a setup thought. It's intended as some "over a beer" talk. []

I've repeatedly read over several years that the ideal setup for crossing speakers to a sub is to use a crossover point one full octave above (twice the freq of) the -3dB low end of the speaker. This is because crossovers aren't brick walls. The start rolling off above the stated freq and the allow freqs below the crossover to go to the "small" speaker. If you choose a crossover point that matches the natural roll off of your speaker, you risk a "hole" in the overall freq response of your system. (also why you defeat the low-pass filter on the sub when you use the receiver crossover).

Azanon, you yourself mentioned that crossovers are gradual in another thread. (I wasn't looking for stuff to pick on, just searching the forum for recommended crossover freqs. What you said was good advice). If I was helping a friend set up the Ascends, I'd recommend 100 hz as a starting point, but suggest they also listen to and measure both 80 and 120 provided the receiver had those capabilities. I know the amount of rolloff depends on the receiver. There's also room interactions, and finally personal choice.

There's another possible benefit from a higher crossover freq. If you have an equalizer on your subwoofer and a room node in that higher range, you can eq it out. I think about this because I personally have a problem (2nd order) about 100-110 hz, but my poor ole Denon 3300 only crosses at 80 hz so I can't do anything about it at this time. At least I was able to get rid of the primary 50 hz hump, which made a my subwoofage awesomer.

Now as part of Jake's idea of audio snobs (admittedly, I run 750s with a preamp and outside amplifier and have a jones for SOCS), it's probably less inflamatory if I bow out. But IMO, like mountain bikers and horseback riders (both are trail users), we have more in common than in difference.

If you want to hear my personal story, and even to poke some fun at it - it might be educational - your-all choice. I don't take myself too seriously - I may even have to use some more Kevin Costner quotes for effect.

But even if I leave right now, I'd like to honestly suggest that a few of you might go in together and get a copy of the SOCS demo CD for the CBM170s. You bought your Ascends because you were't willing to settle for any-old-sound, so IMO you are fellow seekers of audio-truth.

I have reason to suspect that for at least a few of you, it will blow your mind, and might make you start saving money for upgrades. It would be funny to me if azanon or even Jake one day started using that technology.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

have a good one!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ClutchBrake

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

-curtis

What about spanking the monkey?

http://www.vectorlounge.com/04_amste...m/flamjam.html

That is a pretty cool site.

-curtis