Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better?

Default Which is better?

I currently own a yamaha rxn600 powering 2 340se and 1 340secenter. I feel that it lacks power. Is the HK AVR745 more powerful?

I'm currently using the HK AVR 645 and I don't think it lacks power. I do have the Emotivas UL combo on their way and I hope it'll open up the Sierras even more.

Quote Originally Posted by 328fly View Post
    I currently own a yamaha rxn600 powering 2 340se and 1 340secenter. I feel that it lacks power. Is the HK AVR745 more powerful?
    How big is the room and how far is the LP from the speakers?

David

The room isn't that big 10x12 (bedroom) but I like to have power to spare . I currently have to crank the volume up to -15 (speakers already calibrated and toed in). My guess is that the 100wrms are fake and the 340se seem to want more power to sing!

10x12 is so small that 100wpc should get you to ear bleeding territory without the amp breaking a sweat. I can drive the 340SE's to my heart's content in a 9x11 room with a 40wpc Onkyo. Couldn't imagine wanting more without doing damage to my hearing.

David

gotta agree with bikeman here... if it's not getting loud enough for you in that size room, there's either something wrong with your receiver or your hearing...

First of all thanks for the interest!

I heard an onkyo 50rms belonging to a friend had more power than my receiver. I also heard a similar model like mine at a showroom (to check if their is a fault with the receiver) and the power is the same as mine. When I heard the amp the first time I didn't know the limit of the receiver and the salesman infact was driving a set of speakers at max volume before distortion and this was my first av receiver bought!

I must point out that I only like to hear loud music for a short time

First of all thanks for the interest!

I heard an onkyo 50rms belonging to a friend had more power than my receiver. I also heard a similar model like mine at a showroom (to check if their is a fault with the receiver) and the power is the same as mine. When I heard the amp the first time I didn't know the limit of the receiver and the salesman infact was driving a set of speakers at max volume before distortion and this was my first av receiver bought!

I must point out that I only like to hear loud music for a short time
    How do you know your friend's Onkyo had more power than your receiver?
    -curtis

it was quite loud! What a questyion?

it was quite loud! What a questyion?
    Same speakers and the same room? If the answer is no to either question, then there is no correlation.
    -curtis