Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some email love

I thought about that, but I figured that if they were sending out a mass mailing, then they weren't too concerned about who saw the prices.

Derek,

They weren't 'mass mailings', but targetted mailings to existing customers and subscribers to their mailings (not sure why all of them didn't get the message). It may not sound like a big difference, but it is in the world of online sales. Probably much like the 'add to cart to see the price' thing you see online because they can't advertise the low price, but can disclose the price in an individual communication, even if that communication is automatic.

I don't know that Ascend would get in trouble from it, but from the fact that DaveF never posted details on the matter and asked people to call instead (when it was an offer to forum memebers) I suspect they might.

The first line in the email says "Dear Valued and Prospective Ascend Customers, "

so it just wasn't for existing customers.

However, every internet newbie (should) know that if you want to keep something a secret, don't put it in an email. []

Derek,

No, not just for prospective customers, that's why I said "existing customers and subscribers".

As an old-school internet guy (I guess 10 years is pretty old in Internet terms), I know that e-mail should be respected just like any other communication.

I never said secret, just that we should respect the situation Ascend is likely in.

Hi Guys,

Seems to be some confusion regarding our email promotion...

It was sent out to those who are on our mailing list, more specifically, a mailing list that you must actually join. The promotions are open to everyone of course but we do respect privacy, thus not a true mass mailing (otherwise known as SPAM

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Brad,

Sorry, I misread your response.

This is the thanks I get for trying to help someone out... []

If I had specifically asked ascend for pricing quotes for these items, I never would have posted this email. However, this email was sent to me along with lots of other current and (hopefully) future customers. Therefore I don't see a problem with sharing it on a public board.

Also if the email read something like "Super secret pricing only for our special members. Please don't share it with anyone!!!" then I also would not have posted it here. There was nothing in the email to lead me to believe that this wasn't public information.

Do you see where I am coming from?

Derek

Derek,

I certainly see where you're coming from and it's probably a more popular perspective than my own. I just come from a background where I believe e-mails to me (regardless if numerous others also receive it) are not intended to be redistributed unless specifically noted. It's probably an old fashion way of viewing new ways of communication, but it's my way of trying to not let the medium lessen my view of the content.

Either way I hope you can understand why I think it was best to remove the prices.

Brad

Hi Guys,

No Worries!!! If I am not concerned by any of this, you certainly should not be

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com