Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sierra center vertical or horizontal?

Quote Originally Posted by ebh View Post
    ........I think the idea is that the MTM design does a good job of spreading the sound horizontally, but in a horizontal center channel you are getting good dispersion up and down, but not so much left and right, which is what the center channel is supposed to do to ensure that people sitting off axis are hearing the center as if it comes from the screen. Two drivers on opposite sides playing the same content apparently creates cancellations and other interference.
    Just FYI, this was confusing. Which is it, does it optimize the horizontal spreading of sound or not? You said the idea is that it does then, in the same sentence, said it doesn't do so well spreading sound left and right (AKA horizontally).

In any event, i want good vertical dispersion of sound from my center channel because the center typically has to be placed above or below the TV some distance, so I want it to seem like the sound goes with the actor(s) lips. As far as horizontal dispersion is concerned, i'm not concerned about that at all because I want the center channel sound to be "anchored" to the TV (in other words, NOT dispersing much horizontally).
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Azanon,

I would be curious as to why you would assume the tweeter must be perfectly centered in the middle of the television? I can understand this from an aesthetic standpoint, but acoustically speaking, it is incorrect.

The vocal range of humans is typically from 80Hz to 4kHz, although some would argue that 4kHz is too high, others argue too low.. but this is an average. With this range in mind, 4 octaves are handled by the woofer and only 2 octaves handled by the tweeter. Meaning that the majority of the vocal range is handled by the woofer. Technically speaking, the acoustic "center" of the loudspeaker would be the halfway point in between the woofer and tweeter, and this is the point that should be considered as the middle, when positioning the speaker as a center (not the tweeter as the center point).

Honestly though, a few inches to the left or right, even if you are only 3 feet away from the speaker, will not induce any audible differences.
    cartoons dave, cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    cartoons dave, cartoons.
    T'is ok. I imagined a genuinely perplexed, but pleasant grin.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    Just FYI, this was confusing. Which is it, does it optimize the horizontal spreading of sound or not? You said the idea is that it does then, in the same sentence, said it doesn't do so well spreading sound left and right (AKA horizontally).

In any event, i want good vertical dispersion of sound from my center channel because the center typically has to be placed above or below the TV some distance, so I want it to seem like the sound goes with the actor(s) lips. As far as horizontal dispersion is concerned, i'm not concerned about that at all because I want the center channel sound to be "anchored" to the TV (in other words, NOT dispersing much horizontally).
    Hi Azanon,

The main principle behind a horizontal MTM center is symmetrical horizontal dispersion. The frequency response to the left of the speaker will match the frequency response to the right of the speaker. If the majority of your listening will be done within a +/- 15 to 20 degree horizontal window of the center speaker, MTM will work well.

Vertical dispersion between an MTM center or an MT center (like the Sierra-1) is not affected by the driver layout, it is controlled by the width of the baffle, the crossover point of the speaker and the characteristics of the drivers. Vertical dispersion with either of these two types of centers will be symmetrical and wide, neither have an advantage over another in terms of vertical dispersion, they are both very good.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Interesting!

I just miss my old "340" on my previous CRT TV. I'm excited that there's been improvements to the HTM-200 though. I have "on the list" to eventually tear out the existing cabinetry in my entertaiment center area and just re-doing it to accommodate whatever speaker configuration I want (which will be Sierra-1's, of course!).
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player