Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Gap

I really, really, really want to see a "full range" offering from Ascend. I put that in quotes because down to the mid 30's would be fine with me, as long as it could do it with dedicated theater sized output. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Swan 6.1's to try out in the still under construction theater. I want something with big output, lots of mid-bass slam, and I would prefer not to take out a second mortgage to get it.
    - EVH III

If I may extend my thought on my earlier comment. A mini bamboo loudspeaker with limited bass response, and an extended high end response and output,designed to be used with a dedicated or subwoofer of your choice.

I really don't see a gap there. You'd be hard pressed to find any company that has speakers at $570, $800 and somewhere in between, let alone one that tries to stay focused and have a limited number of products.

While I often have expressed interest in a full-range Ascend offering, I don't expect one to happen since Dave generally falls into the sub/sat design approach (not a bad thing) much like Mike at ACI (he had a write-up on their website about why he thinks it's a better approach). Of course, I expect he's played with designing one if only for curiosity or back-of-the-napkin entertainment.

I agree that a sub seems like the clear next item coming form Ascend. I also agree that a more wall-mount friendly Sierra seems like a logical product (perhaps a smaller sealed bamboo item with mounting holes).

If true that there are very limited offerings available in the $570-$800. Than I would see an Ascend loudspeaker within this price range as filling a need.

Though I am also aware that Dave has stated that he never designs loudspeakers to target any price point. The likely hood of a loudspeaker to fit within this price range is small.

The Sierra is a good example. The only constraint on the Sierra was size.

I'm not saying there aren't speakers between $570 and $800. I'm saying that if a company makes speakers at both of those price points then it has no reason to make one in between. It doesn't make good product line sense.

There are several offerings within that range from companies who have a line more like $500/$700/$1000. For those companies, $700 fills a gap between $500 and $1000.