Thread: Sierra smiles

Default Sierra smiles

I have had the Sierras for about a month now, up until last night I had them hooked up in my HT. They sounded very good, I flipped back and forth from running large and no sub, to sub and small, all the time I was very pleased with the sound.
    On Saturday I got my mcintosh preamp back from being restored, and hooked it up to a mcintosh 2105 amp, and an onkyo cd player. The difference is stunning. This is my first foray into a dedicated 2 channel setup, I am just blown away by the sound, imaging, and detail. I am running the sierra's without a sub and amazingly do not miss it in the least.
    Thanks again Dave for putting out such wonderful speakers.
    Peace,
    Jim

What receiver did the Mcintosh blow away?

the reciever is a Denon 3805. To me it seems that for music, seperates are the way to go.

Peace,

Jim

Way to go buddhadas, with those Macs, you must have an awesome system.

Jvillas,

Thanks, I am in seventh heaven! The Sierra's imho are a great match with the McIntosh.
    I'm finding it harder and harder to leave the house these days.

Peace,

Jim

I've yet to hear a receiver that wasn't in absolute SQ terms quite poor (and obviously so). That's hardly surprising if you consider the price point, and then consider how much stuff and functionality they have had to cram in there. Because of movie use, they are also usually designed to have as much output power as possible at that price point, which of course compromises SQ even further. I think there must be a lot of people with Ascend stuff out there who aren't hearing anywhere near what it's capable of...

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadas View Post
    the reciever is a Denon 3805. To me it seems that for music, seperates are the way to go.

Peace,

Jim
    Was there a difference in sound for home theater?

If I were made of money, which sadly isn't the case, I would have Sierras for HT as well. I don't know how to explain it but, with the Sierra's the sound seems to come from everywhere, I found myself completely immersed in the movies. Having said that, I am completely happy with the Denon as a pre/pro with 340 se's across the front and cbm 170 se's doing surround duty. I like the Denon for HT, but I do have another Mcintosh amp pushing the front right and left speakers. For me, using an amp takes alot of the load off the reciever. This "hobby" sure can cost some dollars, but the joy it brings me is worth every penny.

Peace,

Jim

Thumbs up Denon 3805 can sound better

I have a Denon 3805 and it sounds awesome. But.....I've used very expensive power cords and lined the metal cover with ERS cloth. Additionally, I run in "pure direct" 2 channel mode. Additionally I've used Walker Audio SST silver treatment on all connects and cords. Basic HTS 1000 Monster controal center removes noise. Your Denon 3805 should be near audiophile quality with these improvements. Hope this helps.