Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built a new Rythmic 12" Direct Servo sub!!

Talking Built a new Rythmic 12" Direct Servo sub!!

I just hooked it up, breaking it in now.... I can say....

It sounds good already, MUCH better than My BA PV600, no rumble- just deep and clean...
    Needs more time though, from what I've read these drivers need a bit of time to break in, I dunno if thats true, just read it online...

Clean sound, NOT boomy- tight, and quick..... more to come as time passes, but I'm VERY happy already!!

You know you want to turn it up!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    You know you want to turn it up!
    Ya think?......

pics if you get a chance?

as soon as i move and settle down, a 12" rythmik is going to be my first project.

looking forward to hearing more about how it performs with music and movies. you are using it with the sierras?

Yes, with the Sierras

Muzz,

Did you use the standard box plans available on their website or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by spunky721 View Post
    Muzz,

Did you use the standard box plans available on their website or something else?
    I used the plans on the site, I need to find some legs for it, I'd like to use some furniture type feet, right now it's laying down, with the driver facing forward, so the amp is on the top.

I had the guy at lowes cut the 14" and 15.5" strips(I double checked his measurements, and went about 1/32 large), and I cut them to fit length here, much easier to maneuver it that way.

I also adjusted the plans(length of the sidewalls), because I used a double thickness baffle for the TOP as well as the standard double bottom.

I also bought a Dewalt Air compressor/Nail gun combo(comes with the hose,fittings, a 18Ga brad nailer, and a 16Ga nailer), and I must say, it helped IMMENSLEY in putting it together- much easier to clamp it, when it's NOT moving around!!

I stood there looking at them, and was like... I dunno, I'll hardly ever use it.. I wasted AT least an hour trying to justify it to myself(I had NO intention of buying one when I went there), but it made putting it together so simple it was pathetic, I made up more than an hour using that gun, and will state unequivocally, that it is one of my best tool purchases ever, I can use it for baseboards and stuff as well.

I don't suppose you took any pictures through your build process? It's a little hard for me to visualize the way the baffles fit together on the plans posted on the Rythmic site. Also, did you end up using a bamboo veneer?

Quote Originally Posted by spunky721 View Post
    I don't suppose you took any pictures through your build process? It's a little hard for me to visualize the way the baffles fit together on the plans posted on the Rythmic site. Also, did you end up using a bamboo veneer?
    I haven't done any finishing yet, I may be using Bamboo flooring strips for the outside(clamp together, then glue and clamp to box)- or I may use Oak Plywood... lots of ideas, but not certain which way I'm going to go yet.

Sorry-No pics, I was very busy building it with my brother in law, and TBO I didn't even think to take any.
    The only other thing I changed(like I said, I doubled up the top baffle- which made the LONG panels longer due to 3/4" less depth) was brace2- I didn't do that one like it shows, I used MDF blocking to Brace 1- and then to outside panels.

The actual box build is quite simple, bottom and top plates are 15.5", the inner portion(glued to those plates)is 14", 2 of the sides are now 20.75"x15.5, and 2 are 20.75"x14.
    Brace 1 isn't as tricky as it looks.

Well I started with NO polyfill stuffing at all, and yesterday I added about 1.5 pds(I don't know EXACTLY how much- it was ONE brand new pillow[couldn't find polyfill bags-so I bought 2 on sale pillows], I weighed myself with/without the pillow to determine it's weight(about ten times), which pretty much took up all the available volume(without ramming more in- it's fairly loose like it is)....
    It seemed to tighten it up a bit, but It may actually be too much stuffing...
    Listening some more to it to determine next move, which may entail removing some of it.....

I will say that it sounds very good- clean, but I really haven't had a chance to really crank it up yet.

Major step up from the Boston Acoustics PV600 it replaced, thats for CERTAIN.