Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not satisfied with 5.1 yet.....

Derek is right. If you hit a stud then the expansion anchors aren't needed. Something that might have stopped your drill-bit might have been a steel plate that is used to protect an in-wall wiring run. The plate is installed over the stud before the dry-wall is installed for prevention of someone driving a nail or screw into the wire run in the wall. If you have an older home then this may not be the case as these probably weren't installed. Drilling thru plaster in an older home can dull a twist-bit almost immediately and could explain why you weren't making progress. Also make sure the drill is turning clock-wise (with the bit facing away from you).

Randy

His house is newer so you might be on to something with your first suggestion.

yeah i hit something the drillbit would not go through at all, maybe one of those metal plates. The wood shavings were probably just from the sides of the hole I had already made. I didnt get the depth i needed for the omnimount screw, so that didnt work out.

Try it again a little higher or lower.

OK, i'm just going to get my Dad to help, who's much more adept at this stuff that me. I already took the omnimounts back, but help me choose between the ones listed here for the HTM-200s: http://www.speakerbracket.com/
    I'd like to go with the one with the threaded insert, but if i'm looking at that correctly, that only have one insert whereas the HTM-200 was designed with 2 offset inserts? So should i get the one with the plate instead?

I'm just gonna get the one rated up to 7 lbs. It'll hold :-)

The inserts on the 200 are there so you can bolt the speaker mount bracket instead of drilling holes into the cabinet. If you look at the bracket in your link above, you would use the slotted holes to attach the bracket to the speaker.

yeah that makes sense to me.

All i'm saying though is had Ascend gone with a single 1/4" x 20 in the center of the speaker instead of two offset, i could have just bought the one with the 1/4" by 20 connector and screwed it directly into the speaker.

But i better not get that type and screw it into one of the two holes cause the weight wouldnt be distributed evenly, aye?

(edit: Can you tell i play everquest too much? lol)

I'm with Derek....

and I would get the 7 to 17 lbs. version.

-curtis

Alright, i'll get the 7 to 17 lb version with the plate. (Considered the smaller one cause the screws might be shallower).

The DCS soundfield didnt really help much btw. And i dont care for it cause it maniputales the sound anyway.

Yey! I got my surrounds, HTM-200s, wall mounted finally (Dad, the handyman, helped out). My setup sounds much better sitting anywhere on my couch.