Thread: High Definition Radio,really HD?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default High Definition Radio,really HD?

Hi, Is high definition radio really high definition. From what I have been able to find on the web there is an increase in frequency response in both the AM and FM TO 15,000 and 18,000 Hrz respectively, this is great, but I do not think this is cd quality, as is often claimed. I cannot find anything on distortion values.

Alot is found on HD radios ability to pick-up cleanly many additional stations. Is this what is also meant to be part of the definition of HD radio?

If any Ascend owners listen to Hd Radio, I'd like to know what your thoughts are on sound quality and value. I believe Hd radio is a paid service.

I thought it was free if ya have the equipment?

muzz, thanks for the correction. I did'nt know for sure. I thought it was a service you subscribe to. Thanks again

NP j,
    I'm pretty sure it's free, but I never bothered to check on the other specifics.
    Maybe someone else that actually uses it, will chime in on how good it is.

Yeah...the signal is free...you just need to have a receiver.
    -curtis

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping it becomes standard on car head units soon instead of being a sat radio style add-on tuner. Once it does, I might finally get a new head unit for my car and check it out. I know there are a few head units with built in HD tuners, but not many last I checked and not in Alpine which I've always liked.