Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What about the sealed Sierra-1?

Default What about the sealed Sierra-1?

Hi Dave,
    There was a lot of interest on AVS after you mentioned that you are working on an option to plug the port for Sierra-1. Is this a good time to discuss that here? How would it affect the SQ? I have some interest in that option as well to compare the SQ at home. Would you be publishing the measurement after plugging the port?

Default Re: What about the sealed Sierra-1?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Hi Dave,
    There was a lot of interest on AVS after you mentioned that you are working on an option to plug the port for Sierra-1. Is this a good time to discuss that here? How would it affect the SQ? I have some interest in that option as well to compare the SQ at home. Would you be publishing the measurement after plugging the port?
    Hi Sam,

I hope to be able to provide full details of this exciting enhancement in about 3 weeks

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

uh oh...

Does that mean they can be placed up against a wall or in a wall?

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    uh oh...
    +1
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    uh oh...
    +1
    +2...I love options.

This sounds very interesting. I wonder what the benefits will be for someone running a high quality sub like myself. Perhaps even more detailed midbass and higher output capability in the lower midrange? I actually have my center channel already plugged up because it's inside my TV stand and it sounded a little boomy in there.

A port plug should allow the Sierras to be placed much closer to the back wall providing greater placement flexibility overall.This is a great benefit. Although my understanding plugs will likely limit the low bass extension. On the other hand bass performance may get tighter, and rolloff smoother. I wonder since ports are tuned and port plugs do not completely seal the port whether Dave will offer different plug densities for the Sierras. Whether to use plugs or not is of course is up to each individual situation. Port plugs for the Sierras is a really good option.

FWIW, the 170 classics I use for side surrounds have their ports plugged. I needed to mount them flush to the wall to maximize walkway clearance. The plugs are made from 2" thick foam rubber which was cut from a larger sheet using a piece of sharpened PVC pipe.

As far as the sound goes, with them crossed over @ 80Hz I really can't hear any difference. Given this is side surround duty, but I also listen to a lot of multi-channel music as well I they sound great to me.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Sam,

I hope to be able to provide full details of this exciting enhancement in about 3 weeks

Take care!
    tick... tick... tick...

don't forget those of us who "pre-ordered"...