Thread: What is pre-amp? Help me!!

Bob...I will make it simple.

Take your receiver.....take out the amplifiers and associated circuits, and then you would have a pre-amp/processor. So with your Yamaha, you have the capablity to use an external amplifier and bypass the amplifiers in the receiver.

The advantage of a seperate pre/pro and amp is less "interference" between the two components. And, you can upgrade/change one without having to change the other.

-curtis

Curtis,
    Thanks for quick response as usual. Now I understand a little. It is getting more interesting -as you may know it is not so long time ago since I started this hobby.

so can you hook a HT amp upto a HT receiver?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Larry.H

so can you hook a HT amp upto a HT receiver?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If the receiver has pre-amp outs, then yes, you can hook up an amp to a receiver. That's my setup actually (and Curtis', I think).

I have a Denon 4802R receiver and I added an Outlaw 770 (7 channel) amplifier. The Denon has a pretty good built-in amplifier, but I wanted to see if a dedicated amp improved my sound quality.

so did it?

JH