Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HT system

Quote Originally Posted by fredflinstone
    My TV is 42 inch rear projection from sony.
    I would be sitting 8-10 feet from the TV.
    OK, that's pretty typical nowadays, actually. First, let me say that there are no hard and fast rules about how far apart to place your front left & right speakers, which means that you may have to experiment until you are satisfied with what you are hearing. The short answer is that yes, you'll probably want to place the speakers some distance away from the sides of the TV. The long answer (my specialty ) follows.

For HT, the ideal would be to place each speaker at the edge of the screen just like in commercial theaters so that the localization will be correct, while for music (including the musical scores of movies) most people would suggest that the speakers be placed 60 degrees apart to ensure that you get enough separation. Because most HT screens are much narrower than commercial screens (speaking in terms of angles), placing speakers right at the edges would give you very little separation and a weak sense of directionality, and placing them 60 degrees apart could place some of the action rather far away from the screen, many people compromise by placing their left & right speakers 45 degrees apart. In your case, sitting 10 feet away, this works out to be about 31 1/2 inches from the left and right edges of your TV's screen; sitting 8 feet away, you should place your speakers about 21 1/2 inches from the edges of the screen. Note that this is merely a decent starting point--when you get your speakers, you should try moving them a bit closer or farther apart in order to find out what sounds best or "right" to you.

Hi,

One last question.
    If I buy the natural color, can I paint it black? I dont want to loose the purpose of the bamboo by changing the properties of the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by fredflinstone
    If I buy the natural color, can I paint it black? I dont want to loose the purpose of the bamboo by changing the properties of the speaker.
    Why not just buy the black version of the speakers? You'll ruin any resale value by painting them.

Like Brad said the piano black is over a bamboo cabinet.