Thread: hybrid vs non-hybrid

Default hybrid vs non-hybrid

I have been complaining a lot about gas prices and my car.....talking about getting a hybrid.

This morning, my Dad sent me this article....very interesting.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I have been complaining a lot about gas prices and my car.....talking about getting a hybrid.

This morning, my Dad sent me this article....very interesting.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

Timely article, but know that particular article has been identified as being a lot of BS, and using information from the 1970's (for instance, the plant no longer pollutes, the environmental damage to the area stopped decades ago, but still nothing grows). Basically, it's a lie that is making it's way around the net. Otherwise you would see it in the Times and what not. I won't steer you to the debunking sites, if your interested, you can easily find the info.

I myself am about ready to buy a new car, did extensive research and I am going to try out the Prius. From a purely economical point of view, you can save more money buying a cheap car for $12k, the savings makes up for expensive gas. From purely enviromental view, a hybrid SUV saves the most gallons of oil because they use the most (compared to standard SUV).

Thanks...I will definitely look into it and send what I find to my Dad.
    -curtis

One glaring thing is that nickel plant stopped polluting in 1994....now it basically expells water vapor.

NASA uses Sudbury because it is a huge meteor crater.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    One glaring thing is that nickel plant stopped polluting in 1994....now it basically expells water vapor.

NASA uses Sudbury because it is a huge meteor crater.

ya, that was the big one, it makes the rest of the article meaningless after that. Basically somebody is for some reason trying to execute an agenda against hybrids. That or they really beleive what they wrote, and lack the research skills to understand what they are talking about.

I pretty much knew it was crap when they found a way to make a hummer more expensive per mile than a prius. That reeks of twisted math, common sense dictates it to be so.

After I buy my prius, I'd happily bet the cost of a hummer with someone who drives one and track our costs over 10 years.

Fun fact: the nickel mined at Sudbury is all from the meteorite that created the crater. In fact, the nickels in your pocket use nickel from Sudbury. So, that makes those nickels little meteorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch G
    Fun fact: the nickel mined at Sudbury is all from the meteorite that created the crater. In fact, the nickels in your pocket use nickel from Sudbury. So, that makes those nickels little meteorites.
    I guess Meteorites aren't worth jack sh!t huh?

is the nickel from the meteor, or from the magma flow after coming from the earths mantle?

I think you are right. I had been told it was from the meteorite, but it looks like it just cracked open the ground. I stand corrected.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch G
    I think you are right. I had been told it was from the meteorite, but it looks like it just cracked open the ground. I stand corrected.
    Not so fast there! The concentration of nickel in meteoroids and asteroids greatly exceeds what you'll generally find anywhere near the surface of the Earth, and the most productive nickel deposits tend to be located at or near known impact craters (and perhaps some currently unknown ones). While I can't prove that most of the nickel we use is of extraterrestrial origin, there are an awful lot of coincidences involved. It's sort of like how paleontologists and paleogeologists can't prove that the layer of iridium (also much more common in Solar System debris than on Earth's surface) that got deposited globally 65 million years ago (right about when the dinosaurs rapidly went extinct) came from an asteroid impact (it could conceivably have come from a supervolcano), but the circumstantial evidence when taken as a whole is rather compelling. Basically, if something walks and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.