Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Impression of new speakers

HI Trekkerj,

Your setup seems fine..

Are you using digital cable or analog cable, or satellite? How do you have the converter box connected to your receiver?

It is possible that your are "clipping" the preamp stages of your receiver. This can happen if the audio outputs of either your TV or converter box (depending on which is connected to the reciever), are too high.

Are the audio outputs of the converter box or TV fixed or variable?

It is also possible that you have a bad converter. Perhaps a call into your cable provider is necessary? BTW, which provider?

Please keep me updated!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am using a digital coaxial audio output from a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD digital cable box (Cablevision). This clipping, I believe is the source material. It happens on tv shows, some on analog stations, some on digital. It never happens on a movie channel with 5.1 audio.

OK, back to the "very high-pitched squeaking noise during certain vocals" I was mentioning. I heard it during the Super Bowl as well, especially when Greg Gumbel was talking. My guests didn't notice anything, but I have pretty good hearing. It was bothering me. Is it TV audio, or is this possibly the doing of my low-end receiver?

It could be either. But my guess is TV audio.

-curtis

But this was a Dolby 5.1 audio broadcast. Don't they have audio engineers to check proper levels? Just seemed like too much high frequency background noise in there.

did you receive it in DD5.1? Did your receiver decode it as DD5.1?

-curtis

Yes, there was nothing wrong with the 5.1. I am just mentioning that to point out that it wasn't some crappy analog PCM audio. This was Dolby Digital, and yet I still heard very high freq. sounds during some vocals.

In that case, try swapping out the Comcast box. By the way...PCM is digital. So all audio goes through the digital connection from the Comcast box to the receiver, and that box is not hooked into the receiver via analog connections at all? You hear this sort of sound from other programming, but not DVD?

My DirecTiVo box is connected to my receiver via digital only....and I have no issues like that....even on regular TV shows the sound is good.

-curtis

Correct, the only connection from the cable box to the receiver is via the digital connection. Actually, due to a problem with my receiver and the box, I am having to use a coax to optical converter as well.

Even thought the PCM is digital, it is coming from an analog source and converted to digital. I get much worse sound quality on the analog channels.

Have you tried adjusting the audio level on the cable box? I know all of my sa boxes (2000, 3100hd and 3250hd) have the ability to adjust the volume, but I change that setting from variable to fixed.