Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Impression of new speakers

Are you angling the speakers inward? If so, it might be too much if they sound better closer.

BTW: I have a wall on the left and not on the right and don't think it causes problems.

The fronts are angled a bit to face the position that I am sitting in. The center sounds better the closer I go also.

the 340c should have some space behind it for the big port to breath. It should also be at least flush with the front of the TV, or even a bit in front of it. Some folks also angle down toward the listening area.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BradJudy

You can also get a refurb H/K 325 from H/K direct with warranty for $500 at Harmanaudio.com<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Harmon Audio also sells refurb units w/ full warrantee's via ebay. Ebay market price for an AVR-525 seems to be about $480 plus $35 shipping

Brian

Edit
    Brand new AVR-525's are available from Onecall for $606.12 shipped.

OK, now I'm hearing a very high-pitched squeaking noise during certain vocals. Seems to be coming from the center speaker. What could this be?

Does it only occur when the volume is really loud? Does it only occur with certain pieces of music?

Hi Trekkerj,

I have been following this thread closely... You have been given some excellent advice.

A few things, please keep in mind that our loudspeakers very accurately reproduce the signal that is being sent to them. If you are hearing strange sounds, these sounds are being sent to the speaker and simply being reproduced.

TV signals, or recorded TV audio onto DVD, are some of the worst and noisiest audio signals available. The signal itself is bandwidth limited and there is very little (if any) information below 100hz. You might have sensed more "richness" and "warmth" (all terms relating to bass) with your HTiB Jensen system simply because these systems generally have such poor sound quality that in order sound OK, they artificially boost the lower frequencies (usually at 60hz). This gives the sense of warmth.

Also, I noticed now that you have the Jensen subwoofer connected to the system. Can you please let me know how this is hooked up? Are you using the subwoofer output of your receiver into the subwoofer or are you using speaker cables? This is important as the subwoofer most likely has a built in High-pass filter designed for use with the diminutive front and rear Jensen speakers. You might actually be filtering a large amount of midbass out of the CBM-170 speakers by using this subwoofer.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My sub is hooked up via an RCA cable to the subwoofer output on the receiver.

As for the noises, so far they've all been TV sources. Darn tv audio. Even CBS digital, I get clipping from that sometimes. Only movie dvds seems to be 'clean'.

So, is this subwoofer setup ok? Keep in mind that I have it turned down to about 1/3 volume because of the neighbor factor. I have my receiver set for 'small' speakers, and a 100Hz crossover (that's the lowest the Pioneer allows).

trekkerj,

That should be fine.

Is the sub calibrated with the rest of the sstem?

-curtis