Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Impression of new speakers

If there is not enough warmth for you, maybe the Ascends are not the right speaker for you. Maybe you should try a pair of the Rocket 150's or 250's to compare with the 170's.

Johnny is right. May be time to listen to other speakers. Are you still in your 30 day window? The CBM-170 is pretty neutral...might not be to your taste. Have you gone to some shops to listen to other speakers?

-curtis

I thought ported speakers sound better near walls? If not, where would you say I should place them based on what you saw. How far away from a wall should they be?

I think my main problem is that I've been watching too much TV, and not enough DVDs. Certain channels sound very nice, others are crap. I get digital music channels through cable, and they sound amazing. I never tried those before. My CDs sounded normal, nothing special. I don't think my receiver has a good DSP mode for CDs. Nothing that uses the rear speakers very much anyway.

So is the consensus now that a receiver upgrade from a $200 Pioneer to a $500 HK not going to make a noticeable difference?

I think the receiver upgrade will make a difference. On your speaker stands can you use wall mount brackets for the surrounds and your present stands for the fronts?

Rear ported speakers need space between the port and the wall to breath.....too close and they may sound boomy. And you really do not want any speaker close to a side wall.

-curtis

I am no expert, but for the surrounds I would try to get some room between the rear port and the wall. I believe the Ascend manual recommends 1 - 2 feet placement from the back wall. I know we all have to make compromises when trying to place our speakers (well those of use without a dedicated room), I have my rears on 30 inch stands. I believe placing a rear ported speaker closer to the wall will help reinforce some of the bass response, but at the risk of boominess.

I would say try a new receiver (as long as you can return it), after all the only person who can tell if it would make a difference is you. You said you were looking for warmth, I would not describe the Ascends as a warm speaker, like Curtis, I would say neutral.

What kind of music do you listen to?

When I say warm, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't listen to a lot of music via the receiver. I mostly listen to mp3s on the computer, so music isn't that important. Although, as I said, the digital music choice channels sound really good.

I am heading to CC right now. Probably won't get a receiver unless there is a really good deal. I am picking up adjustable height rear speaker stands so I can put the rears above ear level. I'll place them as far from the wall as possible, but there's probably only a foot or so to spare, as you can see.

I reread some of your posts, just some random thoughts:

Sounds like you want to use this system mainly for TV and DVD's, if so, I think you should hook up your sub if you have not done so already. To really enjoy most of the good movie soundtracks, you will need a sub. I think with music on the 170's, you would want a sub too!

I do find it odd that you don't think there is much difference in the sound of your CD's, but you seem to enjoy the sound of the digital music channels. I also have the digital music channels, in my area they are broadcast in DD 2 channel, while nice, I find the sound compressed when compared to my CD's.

You also seem to want to listen to your 2 channel music in a surround format, but as you pointed out, I believe the Pioneer you have only has DPL. If you do bring home a new receiver, check out some of the newer DSP's like PL2 and DTS Neo 6.

Another good sugestion that was already mentioned, give the Ascends a few days, try to listen as much as you can. Then swap in your old speakers and do some comparisons.

what rate are you ripping your mp3s at? Do you have the computer thru your receiver?

I now have new speaker stands and everything is positioned as best as possible.

One oddity...I notice the speakers sound better if I get closer to them. They are calibrated, btw. When I am sitting on my couch, it seems to lack something. Granted, my sub is turned down to avoid the disturbance to my neighbors.

One side of my room has a wall and windows, while the other side is open. Does this take away from the sound quality I am hearing on the couch (not that there's anything I can do about it).