Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Impression of new speakers

It will absolutely make a difference, even at lower volumes.
    Even at low volumes, the music will be cleaner , punchier...just overall sweeter. Especially with an HK, it gives a warmer tone than other receivers in the price range.

I think that is a common misconception. I also used to think that I didn't need a better receiver since I never listen at higher volumes anyway. It's all about clarity and quailty of sound, not volume.
    Clarity and quality can be heard at any volume.

Look at the HK 430 or 630.
    You can also look into the NAD receivers. The T752 or T762 are both being sold a great prices since they are last year's models.

Those seem a tad expensive for my taste.

What about the Onkyo TX-SR601? Any opinion on that with Ascends?

HK AVR230? No learning remote, but I've seen good reviews. Anyone using either of these with Ascends?

If your trying receivers out check out the Panasonic digital receivers. The XR-45 is $300 from jandr. You can find huge threads on these Pannys at avs, htf, audiocircle, audiogon, etc, etc.

I have heard my 170's at someone's place powered by the Onkyo 600, sounded nice. But at the Circuit City listening to the H/K's and Onkyo's, I liked the sound of the H/K's the best. You need to listen for yourself. Maybe you can find a good deal on last years H/K's (325,525) at CC. Sixth Avenue is also in your area right?

Go to Circuit City, you should be able to pick up an open box deal on last year's HK 525 or 325 like the previous poster suggested.

The sound from the HK will be much fuller and warmer than an Onkyo.
    I believe the HK's use a high current amplifier.

Ok, i'll head over there next week and see what they have. 6th ave is also right nearby, maybe they'll have some of those setup so I can listen to the difference. Maybe I'll try some better wire first if I don't see any good deals right away.

Here is my home theater setup. Anything I can do to improve speaker placements?

Put your fronts on the stands you'er using for the rears and see what that sounds like. The tweeter ideally is even with your ear. Those short stands aren't getting you there. Also try cheating your center out an inch or two in front of the tv. You can push the CC back when not watching anything for looks.

I second Quinn's thoughts. The tweeters for the front should be at about ear level when seated. I think Ascend recommends 28" to 31". And the Dolby spec for rears is 2-3 feet about ear level.

-curtis

Yeah - definitely get the height up if you can. The stands Ascend sells for the CBM-170s (which I own) are 30" tall IIRC.

BTW: jandr.com has the H/K 330 (current model) for $500. You can also get a refurb H/K 325 from H/K direct with warranty for $500 at Harmanaudio.com.

Brad is right I just measured 30" tall on the Ascend stands. Curtis is right the surrounds should be 2-3 feet above your ears.

Edit- You may be able to use those shorty stands for the surrounds temporarily if you face the speaker straight up at the ceiling. Be sure the port isn't blocked