Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Impression of new speakers

Trekkerj,

I really think your problems may be from your receiver. DF thought as much with your previous post about crackling and the center channel. My step son has that same receiver in his bedroom setup, powering some small H/K sats. If I can, maybe I will take my 170's up to see how they sound. While Pioneer claims a 100 wpc, I really have a hard time believing it, the thing weighs about 18 lbs. If you are not doing so already, maybe you should set the speakers to small and cross over to 100hz.

Johnny, I would REALLY appreciate it if you could try the speakers on the Pioneer. Also, I have the speakers set to LARGE to eliminate the need for the subwoofer. I thought these speakers could handle the extra bass. Why do you recommend "small?"

Curtis, here is how the speakers are set up. The center is on top of the tv. The rest are on stands. The Fronts are on smaller stands, slightly below ear level when sitting (a couple feet off the ground). The rears are at ear level. My couch is right near my back wall, with just enough walking space behind them. The speakers are behind and adjacent to the couch, situated so that they are facing one another.

Like I mentioned earlier when I purchased my Ascends I had them running through a cheap $145 Pioneer Reciever VSX-412S. I defintly could tell upgrade. The Ascends had clearer vocals and a wider sound stage. The Pioneer did an O.K. job with driving these speakers, I couldn't push as hard or as loud, but it was decent.

When I upgraded to my H/K I defintly heard many acoustics differences. Stronger midragne, less bright vocals, and deeper bass from my SVS.

As mentioned earlier try setting your speakers to small and cross @ 100. I would also try getting your fronts @ ear level or slighly above.

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

I'd try it with your sub and see if it makes a difference. Just keep the sub volume on the low side. In your(and my) system $500 worth of cables isn't going to make a difference. Throwing out the free I/Cs and getting some 14ga or thicker wire will. But don't spend over about $20 per I/C something along the lines of the Radio Shack gold line. Here is something from audiogon by a cable maker about this-

01-20-04: Sedona_sky_sound
    For the "typical" $1800 system, the difference between good quality and great quality cables will be very, very small. I am an audio retailer and cable manufacturer and have thus tried my cables on an extensive number of systems.

On most "budget" real-world systems, the difference between zip cord and my cables is audible but not usually drastic. When comparing something like Monster cable and mine (or any other high-end cable for that matter), the difference is extremely small. However, in most cases people end up buying my cable anyway just because mine are better made and not too much more expensive.

At about the $4000 level (i.e., $2000 integrated amp plus $2000 speakers), the difference cables can makes starts to become obvious. The electronics/speakers are now resolving enough to get into the zone that cables effect. At this level, Monster Cable just can't cut it anymore.

For the really high-end, dedicated systems (like in my custom designed demo room), cables can become extremely important. I have done experiments where I have had my wife switch out cables without me knowing what she did. With my eyes closed the entire time, 90%+ of the time I can tell exactly which cable she switched to.

The end result is that you shouldn't have to worry that much which cables/interconnects you get. Any well constructed cable will do you just fine. Even the better constructed cables at Radio Shack are more than good enough for 90% of the systems in homes today. Your room and speaker placement will likely have an order of magnitude greater influence on the sound than the cables.

Best of luck.

Julian
    Sedona_sky_sound (Answers)

In our level of systems the receiver is going to have the biggest effect. Maybe take a pair of the 170s to a dealer and listen to other receivers with them.

Right now, I probably have 18-gauge wire. All the connections are being made with the bare wire.

On the receiver, I see spring loaded connectors for the surrounds, and I think there are binding posts for the center and fronts.

It is worthwhile to get a better gauge wire (Monster?) and banana plugs for the front speakers?

My friend has a spare Sony receiver. Not high end, but maybe one day I can get it and hook up the speakers and see if there's any difference.

I also think my speaker placement is OK, but I can't really put them anywhere else in the room. Perhaps when I get home I can snap a couple of pictures of the room with my digital camera and you can see what the setup is like and offer any advice on what I can do to improve things, if any. Thanks again.

I recommended small and the 100 hz x-over (the lowest setting on your AVR) to take some stress off the amps in the Pioneer. I'll let you know what happens with my switch when I get a chance.

Thanks. It seems to be able to handle "large" and this way I don't even need the sub. However, I'll try both ways and see which sounds better.

I'd pick up some 14ga zip cord at your local home improvement store or Radio Shack. Monster is fine just overpriced.

If you've got a $250 Pioneer receiver, you probably want to start there.
    Go pick up an HK 430 or 630 from Circuit City, just for testing purposes.
    You can always return if it doesn't make a difference.

It should however make a HUGE difference in sound. I had a $200 Sony receiver before, so I went through the same thing you did.

Also, Home Depot 14 and 12 Guage speaker wire is SUPER cheap. Like 30 cents a foot.

Will this all really make a huge difference at normal volume levels. I usually listen under 70db (I know that now that I have my sound meter!).

The Pioneer is about a $175 receiver today. If a new receiver and better wire will make a huge difference (if that is the consensus here), then maybe I should start auditioning some better ones.

Probably in the $500 range....what else complements the Ascends nicely?