Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I demo 170's or 340's?

Will you be coupling the speakers with a subwoofer? If so I'd recommend the 170s. If not... well... your call.

I don't own Ascends yet, trying to work out a way to use 340s as rear surrounds, but I have listened to the 170s and the 340C. The 170s sounded phenomenal when coupled with a subwoofer. They sounded good even without a sub, but the music was fuller with a sub.

The reason I say "your call" when it comes to using the 340s is that I have never heard a pair of 340 l/r. They do have a bit more extension and from what I have read offer a larger soundstage. Whether or not that will suit your tastes without a subwoofer only you will know.

Either way, good luck. I hope you enjoy whichever model you choose.

One more thing. Aside from the 70% music will you be rounding out a full 5.1 setup? If so I highly recommend the 340c. I am a firm believer in getting the best timbre matched center available.

Thanks clutch. Yes, I will be running a sub regardless. However, for the demo I will not have a sub because I don't want to order the whole package until I am sure this is what I want to go with.

Yes, it will be a 5.1 setup...eventually 6.1.

Get the CMT 340 L/R. I have them. They sound great.

Curtis has both, and he prefers the 340's for his front soundstage.

The prices for these speakers reflect what you get IMHO - at least for the 170 vs 340.* If you pay more for the 340s, you'll get more. So, get what can you afford.

* (The htm200s almost cost what the 170s do, but the 170 is a far better speaker, i think. Get the htm200 only for either ergonomics reasons or because you're going to flush mount them).

How big is your room? How close do you want to place the speakers to the back wall?

-curtis

Not sure of the exact dimensions of the room I will have to find out. It's a small 2 bedroom house..small living room, rectangular, with hard wood flooring and lots of windows. The room is bright..I am going to have to lay down carpet etc. I don't have to put them too close to the back wall...as far as needed. I would definetly get the 340c for the center if I chose ascend.

The 340's have a wider dispusion than the 170's. So if the room is really reflective, might be better off with the 170's.

My room is 14x18x9, and the 170's did very well. The 340's play bigger.

Best thing is to give Ascend a call and discuss the room and needs with them.

-curtis

Thanks guys..I think I'll try the 170's..if I like em' then I might try the 340's for the front and just move the 170's to surround duty. Sounds like a plan.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The htm200s almost cost what the 170s do, but the 170 is a far better speaker, i think.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    ugh... i meant "about" what..., not the same. $278 compared to $328 for a pair.