Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Impression of new speakers

hey trekker,

Can you describe how you have all your components hooked up in relation to each other? I find that using the TV as the source is not very good. How does the system sound with DVDs or CDs?

-curtis

I figured it would make everything sound a lot richer. Maybe my expectations were too high.

My High-Def channels with Dolby sound are pretty decent. DVDs are better, but not amazingly better. Perhaps because I don't blast them I don't hear as much of a difference.

CDs sound normal, nothing special. Unfortunately, my receiver doesn't have a mode that utilizes the surround speakers very well for CDs. It puts almost everything in the front.

What about my components did you want to know?

Thanks.

have you calibrated your system? try plugging in your old speakers again...and compare different parts from movies/music.

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

I'm not saying there's no difference. I can hear it when switching centers, no doubt. Maybe I haven't sampled enough material yet?

Yes, I calibrated it using Avia and a RS analog SPL meter.

So your hi-def tuner is hooked up via digital to the Pioneer?

I guess we should ask what your previous speakers are.

-curtis

Trek,

You might wanna try a/bing your old speakers, and make sure and use a challenging CD for comparison; that way the switch is almost instant, instead of having to go on memory. My upgrade was from Advents, with the total set including sub, at a value of $400 dollars purchased 12 years ago.

Some great Vocals from Josh Groban would be a great idea! The first CD i tried when i hooked up my Ascends was Groban's "Closer" album. Honest to god, I cried a little at the end when Josh belted the end vocals through that 340, from the song "Remember when it rained". BTW, that album is #1 now, and Josh is performing at the pregame of the Superbowl this Feb 1!

Ok where was I......

I have tried the 170s with the sub off, and i'll admit I feel they're lacking under that scenario as well. Perhaps im a hard judge like you, but i'm being quite frank when i say i'd be dissatisfied with 170s minus a sub. So from that standpoint, I have to agree with your assessment. However, I am surprised they are not beating a complete set of 100 dollar value jensens!

On regular TV shows, i often can't tell the difference either. I sometimes notice the quality of them on some well done commercials however, and i always notice the difference on Dolby Digital movies from HBO.

My main problem is I can't get away with deep bass because it goes right through the floor and I don't want to disturb the neighbors. I am happy enough with the bass coming out of the Ascends.

Everything is a digital audio hookup except my tivo.

Maybe the Super Bowl in 5.1 audio will be a good test.

My previous speakers are the Jensen JHT-805 set. I don't feel like getting an A-B switch just to prove that the new speakers sound better. I know they do. Maybe a good sub WOULD bring it all together, but it's pointless to buy one when you live in an apartment.

what do you mean by ultra cheap wire? I would recommend you get some 12 or 14 GA generic wire from Home Depot or Parts Express if you are running with very thin wires.

What model is the receiver? cheaper receivers use lower quality dac's which to some degree puts out worse quality sound.

Circuit City basically had Monster wire and standard wire. I went the cheap route. I'm not sure what gauge it is, but it's not tremendously thick, probably not that low. Does it really make that much difference?

My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-D509S. But I've been told that the receiver doesn't make as much of a difference as the speaker type and wire used.

how are the speakers situated...on shelves or stands? how high? If on shelves, are the flush with the front of the shelves?

-curtis