Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Top Five CDs Everyone Should Own...

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy View Post
    I discussed the country genre with my wife some (she largely listens to modern country) and we came up with a possible lineup for five here:
    Hi Brad,

This is funny actually.. My wife has been listening to the new Carrie Underwood CD in her car (I think it is all she listens to now) It is starting to grow on me... Never thought I would say such a thing
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Closest thing to modern country I ever listen to is Lyle Lovett, if that even counts. Otherwise, just can't do it. Some classic country and bluegrass I can also handle, but most modern country sounds too overproduced to me and the lyrics seem pretty vapid. I have a friend who loves it though.

Muzz, gonna have to pull out Pearl Jam--it's been a long time since I've played Ten, or any of their albums really.

Not a top 5 maybe, but recently I put on Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, and heard many things on the Ascends that I hadn't heard before. I think the most pleasing thing was really hearing the tone of the woodwind instruments on the album--I always knew the notes, but listening recently on my Ascends I was really able to hear the tone of the barry sax, the alto, and the flutes. It really added a lot to the album to have that texture in there.

I'm still looking for wonderfully-recorded music in genres I listen to. I love those very few albums where the speakers completely disappear (i.e. you don't perceive any sound directly coming out of the speakers) and you really get a holographic soundstage.

Also, I've been recently enjoying the Monk/Coltrane at Carnegie Hall--excellent live recording.
    Last edited by ebh; 07-20-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Thumbs up

I used to practice that album Dave(in our rehearsel studio- to either massive crown amps/Horns- or headphones), I knew all the chops in it.
    We actually played a few Queensryche tunes back then, but I had Mindcrime down(I should have- I practiced the whole album many many times on nights off)- lots of fun, Scott Rockenfield is a good drummer- different than most.

THAT was the time to dig Queensryche, after that.... digital........ Empire was decent, but they went downhill after that(IMO)...

Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Upon the recommendation of forum members, I picked up the Damien Rice CD, 9 Crimes.. It is fantastic, worthy of everyone's collection.
    Got this today for our trip.....great stuff!!
    -curtis