Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Five CDs Everyone Should Own...

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Wow, that's so tough because of all of the genres. That's like picking only one album in each of the broadest levels of genres (rock/pop, jazz, classical, country, hip-hop/rap)

I'm not sure where I would start.
    I can narrow it down a bit - you can probably omit country and hip-iddy-hop/rap from the list

I think sensibull hit the nail on the head with the "grok" reference (nicely done btw, i'm a Heinlein fan, but hadn't read SIASL in so long, I had forgotten the meaning) - basically I'm looking for music that everyone should experience. I already see some albums in here that sure, I've heard some of the songs and recogize them, but I really need to own them and hear them in my own home on my setup to "grok" them . So, just trying to find out what else you guys would suggest...

Chas - I would call or email those Chesky guys, I seem to remember I recieved my disc rather quickly.

Metalaaron, Sensibull, Drewface - thanks for the lists thus far. I already see some stuff I need...

Oh and drewface, I don't mind niche - throw it out there. I'll google it at least
    Jon O.

Received my Chesky order in the mail yesterday. Haven't had time to listen to it yet, but they included a Chesky 2K sampler CD as well for no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Oh and drewface, I don't mind niche - throw it out there. I'll google it at least
    alright:

Fifteen - Lucky
    Avail - Over the James
    Tim Barry - Rivanna Junction
    Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
    Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

tim barry's album is straight up folk, which i find funny because he is also the lead singer for avail, which is a melodic hardcore band. you mentioned you don't like country, but you should still give it a listen if you get the chance. i'm not a fan of country music, either, but there's a lot of good music with a heavy country influence that isn't painful to listen to.

the weakerthans could be considered fairly mainstream, i think, just forgot to put them on the list before... like many people here have already said, it's really hard to narrow down to just 5 albums.
    Last edited by drewface; 06-08-2007 at 05:58 AM.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Santana---Abraxus
    Van Morrisson---Days Like This
    Madonna---Madonna
    Travis Tripp---Down The Road I Go
    Mambo Kings Soundtrack

Sorry Goofed.

-- Tripp ++ Tritt

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    I can narrow it down a bit - you can probably omit country and hip-iddy-hop/rap from the list

I think sensibull hit the nail on the head with the "grok" reference ...

Interesting, my POV is that if you want to grok things, you have to keep country and hip-hop/rap in there. If I were to pick five CDs that everyone should own, I would probably pick each from a different genre because I think everyone should grok at least a piece of each genre.

It looks like people are going for true albums instead of collection albums, which is interesting. It's probably a sign of being big music fans.

I'll see what I can come up....

Brad -

You do make a compelling point. I'd say that yes, I'll buy an album or two from some of the other genre (is that plural?) that I typically would ignore. It'll probably be good for me. Plus, I'll have other music for when guests don't like my selection

Any recommendations from you? You don't have to limit it to five, I was just trying to keep the list manageable.
    Jon O.

Okay, I'll give things a shot with a larger net. How about five in each genre and everyone can pick what sounds most interesting to them.

Jazz:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - instrumental jazz lead by trumpet and piano with John Coltrane on sax (Has been mentioned and is often the one jazz album people own. It's one of the classics.)

Piano: Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream or Art Tatum - Best of the Pablo Solo Sessions

Classic vocals: Billie Holiday (lots of greatest hits disks out there, must have God Bless the Child - I have the Diva collection album) or Ella Fitzgerald (also many collection albums out there - the Ken Burns Jazz one looks good)

Swing: Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller or Count Basie - lots of collection albums and I can't say I have a great one to recommend

Modern vocals: Frank Sinatra (I'm not into him, but there's no denying he's a classic) or Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Okay, that didn't turn out too well for even limiting it to five albums...I'll try harder for the next genre.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to list all of this. Now give me more, more!
    Jon O.

Interesting, if impossible, challenge to pick just 5 albums. Here's five that (I don't think) have been mentioned yet, that are probably a different five than I'd pick on a different day:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    One of the crowning acheivements of jazz...not just spiritually/musically groundbreaking, it's also one heck of a great listen.

AC/DC - Back in Black
    When I was in 7th grade, you simply could not be cool without owning this. Listening to it 25 years later, it still rocks the house and is one of the better recorded rock records to boot.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Sonny Rollins was the greatest saxophone player in the world (arguably) until Coltrane came along. This is, essentially, his Kind of Blue.

Parliament - Mothership Connection
    Perennial funk classic. Turn this mother out!

William Parker - O'Neal's Porch
    A modern classic that deserves wider circulation. Adventurous, free playing combined with killer grooves & melodies.