Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Five CDs Everyone Should Own...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Top Five CDs Everyone Should Own...

Hey Guys,

My cd/dvda/sacd/dvdv music collection is way too sparse, so I'm looking to beef it up. I didn't see a list like this in here (if there is one, be kind and show me ), so I thought I would start a thread up. Here's what I'd love to hear:

What are the five albums you think every person should own?

That's it! I'm really curious to see what you guys say. Beware. I'll probably go buy them all
    Jon O.

Wow, that's so tough because of all of the genres. That's like picking only one album in each of the broadest levels of genres (rock/pop, jazz, classical, country, hip-hop/rap)

I'm not sure where I would start.

i just thought of the media i already own that i would immediately buy again if lost

metallica - the black album
    dave matthews / tim reynolds - live at luther college
    eric clapton - unplugged
    alice in chains - unplugged
    crossroads guitar festival

yeah....too many.

When I get home, I can list what is in my case of CDs I use for auditioning speakers.
    -curtis

curtis - I ordered that Chesky demo CD you've mentioned...it's been a couple of weeks and haven't received it yet (ordered direct from Chesky)

Quote Originally Posted by chas
    curtis - I ordered that Chesky demo CD you've mentioned...it's been a couple of weeks and haven't received it yet (ordered direct from Chesky)
    I don't remember where I got mine from....CES, Chesky, or Amazon......I do know that I did not wait that long for it.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Wow, that's so tough because of all of the genres. That's like picking only one album in each of the broadest levels of genres (rock/pop, jazz, classical, country, hip-hop/rap)

I'm not sure where I would start.
    I can narrow it down a bit - you can probably omit country and hip-iddy-hop/rap from the list

I think sensibull hit the nail on the head with the "grok" reference (nicely done btw, i'm a Heinlein fan, but hadn't read SIASL in so long, I had forgotten the meaning) - basically I'm looking for music that everyone should experience. I already see some albums in here that sure, I've heard some of the songs and recogize them, but I really need to own them and hear them in my own home on my setup to "grok" them . So, just trying to find out what else you guys would suggest...

Chas - I would call or email those Chesky guys, I seem to remember I recieved my disc rather quickly.

Metalaaron, Sensibull, Drewface - thanks for the lists thus far. I already see some stuff I need...

Oh and drewface, I don't mind niche - throw it out there. I'll google it at least
    Jon O.

Received my Chesky order in the mail yesterday. Haven't had time to listen to it yet, but they included a Chesky 2K sampler CD as well for no charge.

Santana---Abraxus
    Van Morrisson---Days Like This
    Madonna---Madonna
    Travis Tripp---Down The Road I Go
    Mambo Kings Soundtrack

Sorry Goofed.

-- Tripp ++ Tritt