Thread: Building you own component rack.

Default Building you own component rack.

I know a few of you have done your own AV stands(Brad and Jim?). I want to build a rack for my two channel and I can't make heads or tails out of the tslots site to figure out what I need. I only need 3 shelves and I want to use something like these bamboo cutting boards for shelves. I know the John Boos boards are popular for setting components on but those are really pricey.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-04-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Quinn,

I've made three racks so far. The first was steel gas pipe because they make flanges with bolt holes. It was rock solid, but lacked adjustability.

Next was a rack using threaded rod, nuts and washers. It's infinitely adjustable, but has a bit of an industrial look (you've probably seen these racks, they are popular for DIY).

Last was the T-slot Salamander Synergy knock-off. Which is also adjustable, but not as cheap to build.

For a rack like you're talking about, either the threaded rod or T-slot approaches would probably work well. I can give more specific guidance on either one, including T-slot or 80/20 part numbers.

Are you envisioning those cutting boards being inside the legs or having the legs go through them?

Moved the 2 channel into the new room last night and blech! The room is just way too acoustically alive. It would cost at least a few hundred bucks to tame the room so back into the family room goes the 2 channel rig . No need for a new stand now.