Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Center with Sierras

Default Phantom Center with Sierras

For HT use, with a crossover above 60Hz, could you get away with a phantom center channel, given the fact that Sierras have exceptional off-axis response?

I've been playing with a phantom center in my setup which has Sierras as mains just to see how they compare to my existing Paradigm CC-170 center. I've found that the phantom center setup is quite good. If you can't get a center at this time, then I think you wouldn't be disappointed with the Sierras and a phantom center.

Mitch

I've noticed with the kids' tv shows that are in stereo that phantom center would work really well. I've checked a few times to see I had a pro-logic setting running and each time it was just stereo.

I'm running my Sierras with no center channel right now and it sounds great as long as I'm sitting in the middle. Even though they have excellent off axis response, you will still lose the phantom image if you move to the left or right. It's no fault of the speakers. This happens to all speakers.
    Last edited by Mike^S; 06-04-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S
    I'm running my Sierras with no center channel right now and it sounds great as long as I'm sitting in the middle. Even though they have excellent off axis response, you will still lose the phantom image if you move to the left or right. It's no fault of the speakers. This happens to all speakers.
    So DON'T move!!!........

What if there is more than one person watching?

Thanks Mitch, Quinn, Mike!
    Quinn, when I use stereo with my 170SEs, my experience is identical with yours.

Muzz, without toeing in my 170SEs, the phantom center is limited to the center seat as you said. When properly toed-in, all 3 front seats become a part of sweet spot.

With Sierras being even better in imaging, I was wondering if I could get away with the phantom center as a permanent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S
    What if there is more than one person watching?
    Then you take turns, or sit on top of each other(that could have added benefits).

Actually, I am finding that the sweet spot is a nice size as far as sweet spots go.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Then you take turns, or sit on top of each other(that could have added benefits).
    Curtis,
    That's funny! :-)

Muzz, Curtis, Mike,
    I assume most of us listen to CDs in stereo mode. Does it mean that only the center seat gets all the benefits of imaging?

With any system, the center seat has the best of everything, but will as well as the Sierras image, I have found that it spills over to off center listening as well.
    -curtis